Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search String in File List
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search String in File List Post 302502498 by dsrookie on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 05:48:53 AM
Old 03-08-2011
Search String in File List

Hi,

I have a list of files which can be identified as abcd*.xml where * represent multiple timestamps for multiple files.

I need to do following checks

1. Find number of files (which we get by doing following)
Code:
FILECOUNT=`ls -ltr /dir/abcd*.xml | wc -l`

2. If check 1 gives '1' as output then we have to do a Second check, which is to find if that one XML file contains below string ot not.
Code:
<ns1:TotalRecordCount>0</ns1:TotalRecordCount>

Thus I am looking for a Unix command to see if this string exists in that XML file or not.
Please help with this search command, and also how do I get the search output into a variable which I can use further in code in conditional statements.

Thanks

Last edited by Scott; 03-08-2011 at 01:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string from list of input files

Hello, I am trying to match a string between line one and line two with in the file. But I dont want to search based on the given filename. Instead I want to search for all available files in the specific directory. Please help me on the above. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumarvenkat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string in a file and retrieve 10 lines including string line

Hi Guys, I am trying to write a perl script to search a string "Name" in the file "FILE" and also want to create a new file and push the searched string Name line along with 10 lines following the same. can anyone of you please let me know how to go about it ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List file's name and search string's Line

Hi all, My need is: To list out all the java / jsp files having System.out.println in my project. I need the output as: /home/me/project/file1.java somejavacode somejavacode System.out.println("something"); somejavacode somejavacode somejavacode /home/me/project/file2.java... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
CRM_DIFF(8)							  [FIXME: manual]						       CRM_DIFF(8)

NAME
crm_diff - identify changes to the cluster configuration and apply patches to the configuration files SYNOPSIS
crm_diff [-?|-V] [-o filename] [-O string] [-p filename] [-n filename] [-N string] DESCRIPTION
The crm_diff command assists in creating and applying XML patches. This can be useful for visualizing the changes between two versions of the cluster configuration or saving changes so they can be applied at a later time using cibadmin. OPTIONS
--help, -? Print a help message. --original filename, -o filename Specify the original file against which to diff or apply patches. --new filename, -n filename Specify the name of the new file. --original-string string, -O string Specify the original string against which to diff or apply patches. --new-string string, -N string Specify the new string. --patch filename, -p filename Apply a patch to the original XML. Always use with -o. --cib, -c Compare or patch the inputs as a CIB. Always specify the base version with -o and provide either the patch file or the second version with -p or -n, respectively. --stdin, -s Read the inputs from stdin. EXAMPLES
Use crm_diff to determine the differences between various CIB configuration files and to create patches. By means of patches, easily reuse configuration parts without having to use the cibadmin command on every single one of them. 1. Obtain the two different configuration files by running cibadmin on the two cluster setups to compare: cibadmin -Q > cib1.xml cibadmin -Q > cib2.xml 2. Determine whether to diff the entire files against each other or compare just a subset of the configurations. 3. To print the difference between the files to stdout, use the following command: crm_diff -o cib1.xml -n cib2.xml 4. To print the difference between the files to a file and create a patch, use the following command: crm_diff -o cib1.xml -n cib2.xml > patch.xml 5. Apply the patch to the original file: crm_diff -o cib1.xml -p patch.xml FILES
/var/lib/heartbeat/crm/cib.xml--the CIB (minus status section) on disk. Editing this file directly is strongly discouraged. SEE ALSO
??? AUTHOR
crm_diff was written by Andrew Beekhof. [FIXME: source] 07/05/2010 CRM_DIFF(8)