Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting check if file is readable by others Post 302502469 by alister on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 03:54:54 AM
Old 03-08-2011
Code:
[ "$(find "$filename" -perm -004)" ]

Cheers,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 03-08-2011 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: fixed mode. thanks, Scrutinizer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Core file without a readable stack trace

I am using gdb to examine a core file but the output contains only the method addresses in hex. Is there anyway to translate these addresses to a human-readable form? :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciregbu
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that would check if the CD-rom is readable

Hi, I was wondering if there's a command in Linux that would check to see if a CD is inserted into CD-rom. I am developing a shell script that would copy a file from CD rom. For this, I have to first verify if the CD has been inserted or not. Can anyone help me? Thanks, Sundeep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

file in malibox is readable format?

Hi, Files coming to mailbox are in readable format? Is there any special command to read these files. suppose i have sent a file like this megh$mailx -s "mesg" xyz@server.domain<file1.dat can xyz directly read the file from his mailbox? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

4. SuSE

Regarding Readable check for all the files in the folder

Currently we are doing the migration to unix to linux. I am facing the new problem kganeshb@its04489:~/scripts $ ls -l | more total 340 -rw-r----- 1 kganeshb users 9038 Oct 22 13:23 109_db.txt -rw-rw---- 1 dlc users 1413 Oct 10 17:40 1.txt -rw-rw---- 1 kganeshb users 45 Jan 28 13:46 a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting binary file to readable format in Ksh

In Unix/Ksh, when I try to look inside a file it says that the file may be a binary file and if I want to see it anyway. When i say 'yes', it shows me the content filled with unreadable symbols (looks like binary). Is there a command that I can run from the Unix prompt to convert/translate that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthurs
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether file is readable or not in ksh

i want to check the readability of a file inside the script. when i use if then echo the file "$sourcef" is not readable else echo something fi i am getting the error : f: unknown test operator when i tried to check the availability with if i was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a file is not readable by anyone except the owner?

All, I have a script where I get a filename as input and do some processing with the file that I got as input. Requirement: Now I have a requirement where I need to check the following: If either of this goes wrong, the script should pop out a warning message. I tried searching the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
6 Replies

8. Programming

writing to file is not readable by user

In the following code segment I write to some file using , but this write is not readable by me when i open the file. any helps would be thankful. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<sys/stat.h> #include<errno.h> #include<fcntl.h>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I make this file readable/printable?

When I do the file I get ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped I am almost 100% sure I was able to print a readable version of this file in the past but I cannot remember how. Is it possible to convert this file into something that can be read and or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsanchez
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX timestamp to readable format in the file

Hello I have a file : file1.txt with the below contents : 237176 test1 test2 1442149024 237138 test3 test4 1442121300 237171 test5 test7 1442112823 237145 test9 test10 1442109600 In the above file fourth field represents the timestamp in Unix format. I found a command which converts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)