Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SQL - is it possible
Top Forums Programming SQL - is it possible Post 302502347 by praktikal on Monday 7th of March 2011 05:31:20 PM
Old 03-07-2011
Question SQL - is it possible

I have a table with the following structure:

trxNo expiryDate remoteTrxNo
445455 2011-06-26 0
445455 2011-02-26 0
445999 2011-07-30 0
445999 2011-03-28 0

There are other columns that make the records unique but they are not relevant to my question, however, they are always in pairs.

I would like to update the remoteTrxNo in all the records in the table with the following logic:

If the expiryDate is the largest of the two possible values, write 'FAR' in the remotetrxNo column, when it is the smallest, write 'NEAR'.

Can this be done in a massive insert? Do I need to split the query in two to do the MAX once, and the MIN on the other update?

I've tried without success to write a query (or two) to accomplish this. I want to avoid writing code that will loop through a resultset one by one.

Any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling SQL LDR and SQL plus scripts in a shell script

Hi- I am trying to achieve the following in a script so I can schedule it on a cron job. I am fairly new to the unix environment... I have written a shell script that reads a flat file and loads the data into an Oracle table (Table1) via SQLLDR. This Works fine. Then, I run a nested insert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajagavini
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sql help

Hi all, I have a sql like this. select a, b from my_schema.my_table where a in ( 5000, 5001, 5002, 5003, 5004, 5005, 5006, 5007, 5008, 5009, 5010, 5011, 5012, 5013, 5014, 5015, 5016, 5017, 5018, 5019, 5020, 5021, 5022, 5023, 5024, 5025, 5026, 5027, 5028, 5029, 5030 ); Now i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix variables from sql / pl/sql

How do I dynamically assign the below output to unix shell variables so I can build a menu in a shell script? Example: var1 = 1 var2= SYSTEM var3 = 2 var4= UNDOTBS1 and so on, then in the shell script I can use the variables to build a menu. set serveroutput on declare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehres
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute PL/SQL function from Unix script (.sql file)

Hi guys, I am new on here, I have a function in oracle that returns a specific value: create or replace PACKAGE BODY "CTC_ASDGET_SCHED" AS FUNCTION FN_ASDSCHEDULE_GET RETURN VARCHAR2 AS BEGIN DECLARE ASDSchedule varchar2(6); ASDComplete... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reptile
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sql data file in unix csv file as input to an sql query from shell

Hi , I used the below script to get the sql data into csv file using unix scripting. I m getting the output into an output file but the output file is not displayed in a separe columns . #!/bin/ksh export FILE_PATH=/maav/home/xyz/abc/ rm $FILE_PATH/sample.csv sqlplus -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nareshp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute multiple SQL scripts from single SQL Plus connection

Hi! I would like to do a single connection to sqlplus and execute some querys. Actually I do for every query one connection to database i.e echo 'select STATUS from v$instance; exit' > $SQL_FILE sqlplus user/pass@sid @$SQL_FILE > $SELECT_RESULT echo 'select VERSION from v$instance;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guif
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Call parallel sql scripts from shell and return status when both sql are done

Hi Experts: I have a shell script that's kicked off by cron. Inside this shell script, I need to kick off two or more oracle sql scripts to process different groups of tables. And when both sql scripts are done, I will continue in the shell script to do other things like checking processing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: huasheng8
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sql plus

Hi, I'm trying to connect to the sql plus from my unix server(putty) I got this error message ksh: sqlplus: not found Then i tried to modify my .profile with the below syntax (as took from our forum) ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_SID PATH But it display the same kind of error Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run SQL thru shell script: how to get a new line when run sql query?

Hi, this's Pom. I'm quite a new one for shell script but I have to do sql on shell script to query some information from database. I found a concern to get a new line...When I run my script, it retrieves all data as wondering but it's shown in one line :( What should I do? I'm not sure that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kapom
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple sql queries output into variable by running sql command only once

Hi All, I want to run multiple sql queries and store the data in variable but i want to use sql command only once. Is there a way without running sql command twice and storing.Please advise. Eg : Select 'Query 1 output' from dual; Select 'Query 2 output' from dual; I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
3 Replies
DBIx::Class::ResultSetColumn(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 DBIx::Class::ResultSetColumn(3pm)

NAME
DBIx::Class::ResultSetColumn - helpful methods for messing with a single column of the resultset SYNOPSIS
$rs = $schema->resultset('CD')->search({ artist => 'Tool' }); $rs_column = $rs->get_column('year'); $max_year = $rs_column->max; #returns latest year DESCRIPTION
A convenience class used to perform operations on a specific column of a resultset. METHODS
new my $obj = DBIx::Class::ResultSetColumn->new($rs, $column); Creates a new resultset column object from the resultset and column passed as params. Used internally by "get_column" in DBIx::Class::ResultSet. as_query Arguments: none Return Value: [ $sql, @bind ] Returns the SQL query and bind vars associated with the invocant. This is generally used as the RHS for a subquery. next Arguments: none Return Value: $value Returns the next value of the column in the resultset (or "undef" if there is none). Much like "next" in DBIx::Class::ResultSet but just returning the one value. all Arguments: none Return Value: @values Returns all values of the column in the resultset (or "undef" if there are none). Much like "all" in DBIx::Class::ResultSet but returns values rather than row objects. reset Arguments: none Return Value: $self Resets the underlying resultset's cursor, so you can iterate through the elements of the column again. Much like "reset" in DBIx::Class::ResultSet. first Arguments: none Return Value: $value Resets the underlying resultset and returns the next value of the column in the resultset (or "undef" if there is none). Much like "first" in DBIx::Class::ResultSet but just returning the one value. single Arguments: none Return Value: $value Much like "single" in DBIx::Class::ResultSet fetches one and only one column value using the cursor directly. If additional rows are present a warning is issued before discarding the cursor. min Arguments: none Return Value: $lowest_value my $first_year = $year_col->min(); Wrapper for ->func. Returns the lowest value of the column in the resultset (or "undef" if there are none). min_rs Arguments: none Return Value: $resultset my $rs = $year_col->min_rs(); Wrapper for ->func_rs for function MIN(). max Arguments: none Return Value: $highest_value my $last_year = $year_col->max(); Wrapper for ->func. Returns the highest value of the column in the resultset (or "undef" if there are none). max_rs Arguments: none Return Value: $resultset my $rs = $year_col->max_rs(); Wrapper for ->func_rs for function MAX(). sum Arguments: none Return Value: $sum_of_values my $total = $prices_col->sum(); Wrapper for ->func. Returns the sum of all the values in the column of the resultset. Use on varchar-like columns at your own risk. sum_rs Arguments: none Return Value: $resultset my $rs = $year_col->sum_rs(); Wrapper for ->func_rs for function SUM(). func Arguments: $function Return Value: $function_return_value $rs = $schema->resultset("CD")->search({}); $length = $rs->get_column('title')->func('LENGTH'); Runs a query using the function on the column and returns the value. Produces the following SQL: SELECT LENGTH( title ) FROM cd me func_rs Arguments: $function Return Value: $resultset Creates the resultset that "func()" uses to run its query. throw_exception See "throw_exception" in DBIx::Class::Schema for details. AUTHORS
Luke Saunders <luke.saunders@gmail.com> Jess Robinson LICENSE
You may distribute this code under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-05-10 DBIx::Class::ResultSetColumn(3pm)