Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find text in files without using the word itself but the assigned variable of it Post 302502299 by jenimesh19 on Monday 7th of March 2011 02:19:45 PM
Old 03-07-2011
Here is the sample output,,

Password Recovery
=============================
Username: (for example I enter "jeni")
./forgotpass=. command not found

Then choose a question to answer below
(A) What is your 5th favorite color? (I have many choices but I'll just include 1)
choice: a

Answer in A: (for example I answered gold and its correct)

(then it will say)

Correct. Your password is:

(then it will appear blank. it will not show the password. it is assigned $passwd in different script. "login_users" is my script in which the $username, $passwd, and correct answers to questions are stored) Please help me. thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $? mean when assigned to a variable?

If i write this statement in a Korn Shell script RCODE=$? what possibly does it eman? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable has a value assigned?

Hi, I want to check if a variable has a value assigned to it or not. I can do following - cat $Var > File1 if then echo "$Var has value" else echo "$Var is null" fi But I have to check for 3 Variables and I want to wrap it up in couple of unix statements. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and print the last word of each line from a text file

Can any one help us in finding the the last word of each line from a text file and print it. eg: 1st --> aaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff ee 2nd --> aab ered er fdf ere ww ww f the o/p should be a below. ee f (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Command files when the output is assigned to a variable

Hi, i'm posting this in the Solaris forum although maybe it should be better in the General unix forum, I'm formatting an output witht he following command: crontab -l | grep GBOUAT8 | grep UTP | grep -i stop | sed 's/\\//' 08 2 * * 2-6 /apps/sum_glob/gbo_uat/sparse/bin/dmg_cronlaunch -ENVI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cvg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a word in all the files (that contain the word) under a directory

Hi Everyone, I am looking for a simple way for replacing all the files under a directory that use the server "xsgd1234dap" with "xsdr3423pap". For Example: In the Directory, $pwd /home/nick $ grep -l "xsgd1234dap" *.sh | wc -l 119 I have "119" files that are still using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you check if a variable has been assigned?

I am trying to check whether a variable has been assigned on the command line or not. Here is what I did: #!/usr/bin/bash if( $variable == '\0') { print "variable was not assigned" exit } else NF = 2 {print $1, ""} exit fi awk -f question1.awk variable = 58 letters.txt. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred63528
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the number of occurence of particular word from a text file?

example: i have the following text file... i am very tired. i am busy i am hungry i have to find the number of occurence of a particular word 'am' from the text file.. can any one give the shell script for it (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheela
34 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command to find a word from list of files

I need to find a word '% Retail by State' in the folder /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation. When I tried like below, -bash-4.1$ cd /usr/sas/reports/RetailSalesTaxallocation -bash-4.1$ find ./ -name % Retail by State find: paths must precede expression: Retail Usage: find ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a word and increment the number in the word & save into new files

Hi All, I am looking for a perl/awk/sed command to auto-increment the numbers line in file, P1.tcl: run_build_model sparc_ifu_dec run_drc set_faults -model path_delay -atpg_effectiveness -fault_coverage add_delay_paths P1 set_atpg -abort_limit 1000 run_atpg -ndetects 1000 I would like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
6 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)