Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: combine and fill series
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers combine and fill series Post 302502083 by engr.jay on Sunday 6th of March 2011 08:58:46 PM
Old 03-06-2011
actually the original file looks like this

abc 123 2345
abc 2478
abc 4684
def 346 4793
def 3578
def 7832

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the Key fields : Please help us

Hi .... we are having the below file .Column 1, Column 2 ,column 3 are key fields... In the below ...for 2 nd , 3 rd row the repeated key column is missing .... i want the new file to be populated with all missing key columns. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: charandevu
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fill in missing columns

It can't be that hard, but I just can't figure it out: I have file like: File Sub-brick M_1 S_1 M_2 S_2 M_4 S_4 ... xxx 1 214 731 228 621 132 578 ... and would like to get 0 0 where M_3 S_3 is missing xxx 1 214 731 228 621 0 0 132 578 ... I wrote following script, but can't figure out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avvk
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fill in columns

Hi, I've got a file with several columns where some entries are missing. Example: a b c d f g h j k l p y r I need to replace the empty spaces with zero, so the new file would be: a b c d f 0 g h j k 0 l p y 0 r The original file is tab delimited. Many thansk for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
3 Replies

4. Programming

Zero Fill 10 position field

Hi everyone, I am using shell scripting on a Unix SCO box. It calls a C program named zerofill. I do not know anything about C. I am having an issue with a hash total that should only be zero filled 10 positions but the record has 11 positions. DEBUG RESULTS + nice -n -5 bc -l /tmp/fhash8395... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zero fill a string

How do I zero fill a string. E.g pad a string to two digits m=`date "+%m"` pm=`expr $m - 1` echo $pm the above code echoes 1. I want it to echo 01. Any ideas? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the directory

HI all When i do df -h,it displays the amount of free space. Tell me a command or a script to fill the total space to a certain percent (say 99%) Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2002anand
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill missing values with 2

Hi All, I have 100 .txt files which look like this: 3 4 5 6 7 Now, some files have some numbers missing in them and they look like this: 4 5 6 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

fill in last column of data

Hello, I am fairly new to awk, and I have the following problem. My file has missing data in the last column, and the program I am pre-processing this file for cannot interpret correctly shortened rows (it just wraps the data around). Is there a way to force awk to create the same... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timert34
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill in missing Data

hello everyone, I have a task to input missing data into a file. example of my data below: Wed Feb 01 09:00:02 EST 2012,,,0.4,0.3,,0.3,,0.3,,0.5,,0.3,,,0.4,0.3, Wed Feb 01 09:00:11 EST 2012,,,,,,,0.2,,,,,,,,,, Wed Feb 01 09:00:22 EST... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nolph
23 Replies

10. Linux

/var getting fill frequently

I have Red hat Linux server. There are 14 NFS shares which are coming from NAS. There are so many messages filling /var/log/messages, which seems like some NFS logging is enables somewhere, but I am not able to figure it out. Every few minutes, it will filll my /var (which is part of root) to 100%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
Char(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Char(3pm)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.14.2 2011-03-30 Char(3pm)