Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: combine and fill series
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers combine and fill series Post 302502080 by engr.jay on Sunday 6th of March 2011 08:40:43 PM
Old 03-06-2011
combine and fill series

hi all! i have a script with an output like this

abc 123 1246
abc 1386
abc 2589
abc 7383

what can i do if i want to fill the 2nd column with the 2nd string '123'

abc 123 1246
abc 123 1386
abc 123 2589
abc 123 7383

thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the Key fields : Please help us

Hi .... we are having the below file .Column 1, Column 2 ,column 3 are key fields... In the below ...for 2 nd , 3 rd row the repeated key column is missing .... i want the new file to be populated with all missing key columns. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: charandevu
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fill in missing columns

It can't be that hard, but I just can't figure it out: I have file like: File Sub-brick M_1 S_1 M_2 S_2 M_4 S_4 ... xxx 1 214 731 228 621 132 578 ... and would like to get 0 0 where M_3 S_3 is missing xxx 1 214 731 228 621 0 0 132 578 ... I wrote following script, but can't figure out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avvk
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fill in columns

Hi, I've got a file with several columns where some entries are missing. Example: a b c d f g h j k l p y r I need to replace the empty spaces with zero, so the new file would be: a b c d f 0 g h j k 0 l p y 0 r The original file is tab delimited. Many thansk for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
3 Replies

4. Programming

Zero Fill 10 position field

Hi everyone, I am using shell scripting on a Unix SCO box. It calls a C program named zerofill. I do not know anything about C. I am having an issue with a hash total that should only be zero filled 10 positions but the record has 11 positions. DEBUG RESULTS + nice -n -5 bc -l /tmp/fhash8395... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zero fill a string

How do I zero fill a string. E.g pad a string to two digits m=`date "+%m"` pm=`expr $m - 1` echo $pm the above code echoes 1. I want it to echo 01. Any ideas? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the directory

HI all When i do df -h,it displays the amount of free space. Tell me a command or a script to fill the total space to a certain percent (say 99%) Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2002anand
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill missing values with 2

Hi All, I have 100 .txt files which look like this: 3 4 5 6 7 Now, some files have some numbers missing in them and they look like this: 4 5 6 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

fill in last column of data

Hello, I am fairly new to awk, and I have the following problem. My file has missing data in the last column, and the program I am pre-processing this file for cannot interpret correctly shortened rows (it just wraps the data around). Is there a way to force awk to create the same... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timert34
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill in missing Data

hello everyone, I have a task to input missing data into a file. example of my data below: Wed Feb 01 09:00:02 EST 2012,,,0.4,0.3,,0.3,,0.3,,0.5,,0.3,,,0.4,0.3, Wed Feb 01 09:00:11 EST 2012,,,,,,,0.2,,,,,,,,,, Wed Feb 01 09:00:22 EST... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nolph
23 Replies

10. Linux

/var getting fill frequently

I have Red hat Linux server. There are 14 NFS shares which are coming from NAS. There are so many messages filling /var/log/messages, which seems like some NFS logging is enables somewhere, but I am not able to figure it out. Every few minutes, it will filll my /var (which is part of root) to 100%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)