Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get timestamp of a file in HPUX Post 302501848 by methyl on Saturday 5th of March 2011 05:26:11 AM
Old 03-05-2011
For the benefit of those who have been posting Linux or GNU versions of commands and add-ons, HP-UX is a fairly normal unix. Mentioning the exact version of HP-UX always helps.

When a file is more than 6-months old it is not possible to display the "updated" timestamp in HP-UX (or umpteen standard unix variants) with a basic "ls" command.

The exact timestamp is still there in the inode. If you need the value it is available through a custom "C" program or downloadable add-ons (I have read you post).

Reading between the lines please bear in mind that the unix "find" command is very powerful when looking for files of a given age. Processing the output from "ls" is hard work.

Bottom line: What are you trying to do? What did you try? What went wrong?

Last edited by methyl; 03-05-2011 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: typos
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I/O performance in HPUX file systems

Hi guys, what is the relation between I/O performance and file systems. I have a file systems called /dcs/data01 which is having 4Tb size. According our application we can split the file system like dcs/data01 -> 1Tb dcs/data02 -> 1Tb dcs/data03 -> 1Tb dcs/data04 -> 1Tb do you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinzy
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp. I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking the latest file based on a timestamp for a Dynamic file name

Hi , I did the initial search but could not find what I was expecting for. 15606Always_9999999997_20160418.xml 15606Always_9999999998_20160418.xml 15606Always_9999999999_20160418.xml 9819Always_99999999900_20160418.xml 9819Always_99999999911_20160418.xmlAbove is the list of files I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillblue
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
KTUTIL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 KTUTIL(8)

NAME
ktutil -- manage Kerberos keytabs SYNOPSIS
ktutil [-k keytab | --keytab=keytab] [-v | --verbose] [--version] [-h | --help] command [args] DESCRIPTION
ktutil is a program for managing keytabs. Supported options: -v, --verbose Verbose output. command can be one of the following: add [-p principal] [--principal=principal] [-V kvno] [--kvno=kvno] [-e enctype] [--enctype=enctype] [-w password] [--password=password] [-r] [--random] [-s] [--no-salt] [-H] [--hex] Adds a key to the keytab. Options that are not specified will be prompted for. This requires that you know the password or the hex key of the principal to add; if what you really want is to add a new principal to the keytab, you should consider the get command, which talks to the kadmin server. change [-r realm] [--realm=realm] [--a host] [--admin-server=host] [--s port] [--server-port=port] Update one or several keys to new versions. By default, use the admin server for the realm of a keytab entry. Otherwise it will use the values specified by the options. If no principals are given, all the ones in the keytab are updated. copy keytab-src keytab-dest Copies all the entries from keytab-src to keytab-dest. get [-p admin principal] [--principal=admin principal] [-e enctype] [--enctypes=enctype] [-r realm] [--realm=realm] [-a admin server] [--admin-server=admin server] [-s server port] [--server-port=server port] principal ... For each principal, generate a new key for it (creating it if it doesn't already exist), and put that key in the keytab. If no realm is specified, the realm to operate on is taken from the first principal. list [--keys] [--timestamp] List the keys stored in the keytab. remove [-p principal] [--principal=principal] [-V -kvno] [--kvno=kvno] [-e -enctype] [--enctype=enctype] Removes the specified key or keys. Not specifying a kvno removes keys with any version number. Not specifying an enctype removes keys of any type. rename from-principal to-principal Renames all entries in the keytab that match the from-principal to to-principal. purge [--age=age] Removes all old versions of a key for which there is a newer version that is at least age (default one week) old. SEE ALSO
kadmin(8) HEIMDAL
April 14, 2005 HEIMDAL