Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file Post 302501804 by zel2zel on Friday 4th of March 2011 10:17:24 PM
Old 03-04-2011
here's the script

I am creating a simple script that can "recover" a deleted file.

I already created a working del command wherein when I type
Code:
$ del filename

, the filename will be moved to a directory called recyclebin.

Now, in order for me to recover this file, I need to search for the filename inside the recyclebin and move it to the destination that the user will specify.

Code:
#!bin/bash
dest=$2

if [ !-d $dest ]

echo "Error: The path $2 does not exists"

else
                continue

notFound=`find ~/.recyclebin -name $1`

if [ $notFound != "false" ]

fname=$1

cp $fname $dest/${fname}1

fi
fi

unfortunately the code does not work Smilie

What is wrong with my code?

I just want the script to be executed something like this:

Code:
 $ rcvr filename ~/destination

Please help me, thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching contents of a file

Is there a way a command or a combination through which i can check the contents of a all files in a directory and get the return as the file names which contains the partiuclar string. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepitzaboy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a file from one directory to another

Hi This is my first day in Unix, and I am trying to copy a file called holiday.txt from my D drive into the C drive folder called h like currently i am in D drive, i want to copy my holiday.txt into C\h (C drive, h folder) i am able to copy the file in the same drive, but how to do the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujanya_srk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and editing file contents

Can you please help me to edit parts of a file and write into a new file. ===================================== Suppose I have a huge data dump in a file I need to search for a tag in that and cut few lines around that tag in the file. Is there a way to keep track of line numbers and operate on... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayana
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command for copying the contents of other file replacing it another file on specifc pattern

We have 2 file XML files - FILE1.XML and FILE2.xml - we need copy the contents of FILE1.XML and replace in FILE2.xml pattern "<assignedAttributeList></assignedAttributeList>" FILE1.XML 1. <itemList> 2. <item type="Manufactured"> 3. <resourceCode>431048</resourceCode> 4. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balrajg
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with searching and copying in a text file

Hi, I need help searching through a large text file. I need to find a certain string within the text, and copy each line until another string appears. The file looks like this: >scf15164843 ATTAAAGGNNNGGAATTTCCCCAA ATTACCGGCTTTAAANNNTTACCC >scf15154847 CCGGGNNNTTTAAACCCGNGNGCC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repiv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in searching a particular string in a file name (not inside the file contents)

Dear Unix Gurus, I am new to shell scripting and in the process of learing. I am trying to find whether a file name has today's date in MMDDYYYY format. I am using the following code and it doesn't seem like working. #!/usr/bin/ksh today=$(date '+%m%d%Y') echo today: $today file=`find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with the awk in searching the contents in a file

Hello all, I am a newbie in awk. I am struggling in this problem for a long.Actually I have two files, filea and fileb. File a is actually a search key through it I have to find the corresponding japanese tag from file b. filea contains the data like this: sm982882 sm1893548 sm2420025... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csim_mohan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copying Contents of a file

Hello all. Is there a command to copy the contents of one file into another file as the first line? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2metal4u
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename file in directory using contents within each file

In the below there are two generic .vcf files (genome.S1.vcf and genome.S2.vcf) in a directory. There wont always be two genaric files but I am trying to use bash to rename each of these generic files with specfic text (unique identifier) within in each .vcf. The text will always be different, but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies
NCOPY(1)							       ncopy								  NCOPY(1)

NAME
ncopy - NetWare file copy SYNOPSIS
ncopy -V ncopy [ -vmMnpptu ] [ -s amount ] file destinationfile|directory ncopy [ -vmMnpptu ] [ -s amount ] file1 [ file2 ... ] directory ncopy -r [ -vmMnpptu ] [ -s amount ] srcdir dstdir DESCRIPTION
With ncopy you can copy files to different locations on a single NetWare file server without generating excess network traffic. The pro- gram uses a NetWare function to do the copy rather than transferring the file across the network for both the read and write. If the last argument is a directory, ncopy will copy the source file(s) into the directory. If only two files are given and the last argu- ment is not a directory, it will copy the source file to the destination file. If the source and destination files are not on the same NetWare server (or are not on NetWare servers at all), ncopy will do a normal file copy. OPTIONS
-V Show version number and exit -v Verbose copy. Will show current file and percentage completion. -m Copy MAC resource fork. Copies MAC resource fork together with data fork. -M Copy MAC resource fork to/from non-MAC filesystem. It expects/creates resource forks in subdirectory .rsrc of each directory copied. If you want to copy files from MAC volume to .rsrc scheme, you must specify both options, -mM. It is not possible to create .rsrc direc- tory on MAC-aware volume in one step, you must first copy data to non-MAC media using ncopy -mM and then copy them back using ncopy -M. If you want to copy files from .rsrc scheme on MAC volume to real MAC multiple-forks file, you must first copy data to non-MAC filesys- tem using ncopy -M and then copy them back using ncopy -mM. -n Nice NetWare copy. Will sleep for a second between copying blocks on the NetWare server. Gives other people a chance to do some work on the NetWare server when you are copying large files. This has no effect if you are not copying on a NetWare server. -s amount Nice time slice factor. Used in conjunction with the -n option, this specifies the number of 100K blocks to copy before sleeping. Default is 10. (1 Megabyte) -p Preserve file attributes and date/time during copy. -pp Preserve file attributes, date/time and owner during copy. Name of owner is preserved, not owner ID. -t Preserve trustees during copy. Trustee name is preserved, not ID. -r Perform recursive copy. -u Perform copy only if mtime or size differs. BUGS
ncopy does not preserve long (MAC, NFS, FTAM, OS2) names during copy. SEE ALSO
ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
ncopy was written by Brian G. Reid (breid@tim.com) and Tom C. Henderson (thenderson@tim.com). Many thanks to Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) for the ncpfs and ncplib which made ncopy possible. Some further work was done by Petr Vandrovec (van- drove@vc.cvut.cz). ncopy 17/03/1996 NCOPY(1)