Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing string with special characters in shell Post 302501630 by manish72 on Friday 4th of March 2011 04:45:55 AM
Old 03-04-2011
Appreciate your help!It works..Just that the output of awk operation is coming in a single line.From the man page of awk,I realized that gsub,split don't recognize new line characters. Is there any way that the op can be in this format?
File 1:
Code:
input.xcom.range.hostname = DUMMY
input.xcom.range.remote_system = DUMMY
input.xcom.range.userid = DUMMY
input.xcom.range.password = DUMMY
input.xcom.range.remote_file_system = DUMMY
input.xcom.reclass.hostname = tb137
input.xcom.reclass.remote_system = DUMMY
input.xcom.reclass.userid = DUMMY
input.xcom.reclass.password = DUMMY
input.xcom.reclass.remote_file_system = DUMMY

File 2:
Code:
RANGE:@xcom.range.hostname@:REMOTE_SYSTEM=@xcom.range.remote_system@  USERID=@xcom.range.password@ PASSWORD=@xcom.reclass.password@:REMOTE_FILE=@xcom.range.remote_file_system @:
RECLASS:@xcom.reclass.hostname@:REMOTE_SYSTEM=@xcom.reclass.remote_system@ USERID=@xcom.reclass.userid@ PASSWORD=@xcom.reclass.password@:REMOTE_FILE==@xcom.reclass.remote_file_system@:

Desired op is:file 2 should be:
Code:
RANGE:DUMMY:REMOTE_SYSTEM=DUMMY USERID=DUMMY PASSWORD=DUMMY:REMOTE_FILE=DUMMY:
RECLASS:tb137:REMOTE_SYSTEM=DUMMY USERID=DUMMY PASSWORD=DUMMY:REMOTE_FILE=DUMMY:

After running the command now,it comes in a single line.
Code:
RANGE:DUMMY:REMOTE_SYSTEM=DUMMY USERID=DUMMY PASSWORD=DUMMY:REMOTE_FILE=DUMY:RECLASS:tb137:REMOTE_SYSTEM=DUMMY USERID=DUMMY PASSWORD=DUMMY:REMOTE_FILE=DUMMY:

Last edited by manish72; 03-04-2011 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: corrcted format of desired op.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing French special characters

Hi, I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c). I have tried this --- #!/bin/bash # Convert French characters to normal characters # Treat each of the files exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

5. Programming

C++ Special Characters in a String?

Hello. How can i put all of the special characters on my keyboard into a string in c++ ? I tried this but it doesn't work. string characters("~`!@#$%^&*()_-+=|\}]{ How can i accomplish this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)