Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk print to file problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk print to file problem Post 302501509 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 06:51:40 PM
Old 03-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
That's also a useless use of ls | grep, you can just glob it like this:
The ls | grep wasn't entirly useless it was testing for existance of a file matching the glob to avoid issues if no TEST_* files are in the dir.

TasosARISFC, the {stuff} was supposed to be your actual awk script not to be inserted literally

This should be close to what you need (checks for no TEST_ files; {stuff} now replaced with awk code to do the job):
Code:
if [ ! "$CRM"/TEST_* = "$CRM"'/TEST_*' ]
then
    for FILE in "${CMR}"/TEST_*
    do
        # Store output in temporary file /tmp/$$
        # then overwrite the original's contents
        awk -F\| '$11~/(tbc|123456|to follow)/{$11=x} 1' OFS="|" < "$FILE" > /tmp/$$ &&
            cat /tmp/$$ > "$FILE"
    done
    rm /tmp/$$
fi

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 03-03-2011 at 08:04 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Problem with awk,not able print the file that is greater than 3000 bytes.

My Script: #!/bin/sh date=`date +%y%m%d -d"1 day ago"` in_dir=/vis/logfiles/to_solmis cp `grep -il ST~856~ $inbound_dir/*$date*` /vis/sumit/in_ASN/ for i in /vis/sumit/in_ASN/* do mkdir -p /vis/sumit/inboundasns.$date cp `echo $i`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrima.pratima
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and print out data only appear in file 1 problem

Below is the data content of file_1 and file_2: file_1 >sample_1 FKGJGPOPOPOQA ASDADWEEWERE ASDAWEWQWRW ASDASDASDASDD file_2 >sample_1 DRTOWPFPOPOQA ASDADWEEASDF ASDADRTYWRW ASDASDASDASDD I got try the following perl script. Unfortunately, it can't give my desired output result... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with print append to output file syntax

I'm trying to output the contents of the infile to the outfile using Append. I will want to use append but the syntax doesn't seem to be working ! Input file (called a.txt) contains this: a a a b b b I'm running shell script (called k.sh) from Unix command-line like this: ./k.sh .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print count for column in a file using awk

Hi, I have the following input in a file & need output as mentioned below(need counter of every occurance of field which is to be increased by 1). Input: 919143110065 919143110065 919143110052 918648846132 919143110012 918648873782 919143110152 919143110152 919143110152... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print output problem

Hello friends, I have written a script and i need to add some part into it so that i could print out more results depending on more conditions, This is the core part of the script which does the actual work: echo "$j" && nawk -v stat=$2 'NR==FNR &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not getting array in .awk file and print it

I have test.sh file as below : set -A IDARR $ID echo | awk -f test.awk -v TempArr="${IDARR }" I have test.awk file as below : BEGIN { Flag = 1; } { print "Hello"; for(i in TempArr) { print i; } } (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print to file

I have a big c file that gives a lot of output that I don't care about right now. I wrote this awk script to do mostly what I want. Not sure how to put the finishing touches on it. I would also like it to write to a file when it gets the appropriate condition as true. Is this possible with awk? Or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print even fields of file

Hello: I want to print out the even number of fields plus the first column as row identifiers. input.txt ID X1 ID X2 ID X3 ID X4 A 700 A 1200 A 400 A 1300 B 2000 B 1000 B 2000 B 600 C 1400 C 200 C 1000 C 1200 D 1300 D 500 D 600 D 200and the output is: output.txt ID X1 X2 X3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_MOVEFILES(1)