Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sh script sends SIGINT to a process Post 302501492 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 05:25:35 PM
Old 03-03-2011
Yes the quit was a typo it should probably be something like exit 2, still it's good to know that your trap code is not executing. The exit is nice as it allows anything that calls this script to know if an interupt was trapped or not.

Things to note is that polipo is a background daemon (I assumed this because it's being started by an rc.d script). tor on the otherhand is running in the foreground control dosn't return to your script until tor exits (as you said usually as a result of the users typing ctrl-c).

So you can see that traping interupts after tor exists is closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

I moved the trap to before tor starts and also added a clean shutdown after tor, this is for instances where tor exist with a ctrl-c interupt (e.g. tor fails to start due to error, crashes, or some user input causes tor to exit without the need for ctrl-c).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with handling SIGINT

For a program I am designing, which involves handling the keyboard input Ctrl^c (SIGINT), it is taking ages for the program to actually recognise and perform the corresponding action whenever I run it and hit Ctrl^C at the CL. I have to do at least 3 Ctrl^Cs before the program will actually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Script that sends mail - Postfix breaks it

I have a PHP Script that works perfectly on a server that uses Sendmail. However I tried to port it to a new server that has the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface, and it doesn't work properly. The php.ini file has the path for sendmail on both servers set to: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopfm523
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

write the script to get the file size and sends an email

hi all Anybody have an idea to write the script to get the file size and sends an email when file size increse more than 10mb. thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script that sends an html formatted email fails when its run as cronjob

Hi Im very new at working with unix and this problem I simply can not understand. I know there are a lot of threads about problems with shell scripts behaving differently when run from a terminal and from a cronjob. I have tried everything(almost) but I still havent cracked this problem. Im... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nightowl
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Intercepting SIGINT in a bash script

I've written a bash script which captures video with DVgrab. Because of the nature of the tapes that I am digitizing, sometimes I want to quit capturing before the time that I set for DVgrab. When this is the case I press Ctrl-c and DVgrab exits cleanly, my problem is that there is additional... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starcast
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH script that sends text message or email

Hi, I have a BASH shell script that batch processes data. I often start this script before I leave to go home for the day, and leave it processing over night. It has come to my attention that it would be very useful for me to add the capability of making the script notify me about certain things... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Alert a file and sends an email

Hello All, I need a script which alerts me when a files arrive in a directory. I don't need every file. but i need some specific pattern file. And i need to get automatic email gettin as an alert For Example: /a/b/c/ : directory format of file should take regualr expression or manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trapping SIGINT after restarting program.

Tried to add a function to my control_c interrupt here. It works but has one little bug. If the user selects to run the function instead of exiting, the program restarts itself without forking as it should. However, after that control_c no longer works again. I wanted to allow the user to run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Azrael
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SIGINT issue

May i know what are the possible causes for SIGINT other than ctrl-c? Thanks (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Always pass SIGINT in ksh

The following command will run and wait for input from the user. /usr/sap/SAP/webdisp/wdispmon pf=/usr/sap/SAP/webdisp/profile What I would like to do is (in one command): - Add the above line to a ksh script - Receive the output - and send a SIGINT I have seen many posts on how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapsid
3 Replies
TOR-RESOLVE(1)                                                      Tor Manual                                                      TOR-RESOLVE(1)

NAME
tor-resolve - resolve a hostname to an IP address via tor SYNOPSIS
tor-resolve [-4|-5] [-v] [-x] hostname [sockshost[:socksport]] DESCRIPTION
tor-resolve is a simple script to connect to a SOCKS proxy that knows about the SOCKS RESOLVE command, hand it a hostname, and return an IP address. By default, tor-resolve uses the Tor server running on 127.0.0.1 on SOCKS port 9050. If this isn't what you want, you should specify an explicit sockshost and/or socksport on the command line. OPTIONS
-v Display verbose output. -x Perform a reverse lookup: get the PTR record for an IPv4 address. -5 Use the SOCKS5 protocol. (Default) -4 Use the SOCKS4a protocol rather than the default SOCKS5 protocol. Doesn't support reverse DNS. SEE ALSO
tor(1), torify(1). See doc/socks-extensions.txt in the Tor package for protocol details. AUTHORS
Roger Dingledine <arma@mit.edu>, Nick Mathewson <nickm@alum.mit.edu>. AUTHOR
Peter Palfrader Author. Tor 09/26/2014 TOR-RESOLVE(1)