Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to sort the number of occurrences Post 302501365 by joeyg on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 10:56:54 AM
Old 03-03-2011
Take another look at my 2nd command. That sorts based on the count.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

output the letters of the alphabet with the number of occurrences

hi, I'm trying to create a program that will read a file and then check the file for each letter of the alphabet and then output the letter and the number of times it appears in the file, into a new file... this is what i have so far but it's not working.. if anyone could help that would be nice!... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: svd
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print number of occurrences of many different strings

People, I need your help with making a script which will 1. take as an input the number of lines, smth like this: ((RUBROBACTER_1_PE1288 (((SALINISPORA_1_PE1863 SALINISPORA_1_PE1828)100 ((NOCARDIOIDES_2_PE2419 PROPIONIBACTERIUM_1_PE1395)96 ((((((((CORYNEBACTERIUM_1_PE1119... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting number of pattern occurrences

Hi All, Is it possible to count number of occurrences of a pattern in a single record using awk?? for example: a line like this: abrsjdfhafa I want to count the number of a character occurrences. but still use the default RS, I don't want to set RS to single character. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghoda2_10
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Sort substring occurrences in array of strings

Hi, My developer is on vacation and I am not sure if there is something which is easier for this. I have an array of strings. Each string in the array has "%" characters in it. I have to get the string(s) which have the least number of "%" in them. I know how I can get occurrences : ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Unix and Awk to count number of occurrences

Hi, I have a file (movies.sh), this file contains list of movies such as I want to redirect the movies from movies.sh to file_to_process to allow me process the file with out losing anything. I have tried Movies.sh >> file_to_process But I want to add the row number to the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search number of occurrences of a particular string in a file through vi editor?

i have one file, i am doing 'vi Filename' now i want to search for particular string and i want to know how many times that string occurs in whole file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheelsadan
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Serach pattern and give number of occurrences

Hi, I want a script which search for a pattern "good" in a huge file and provide me number of occurences of such pattern in a file. lets say i have a file test.txt contents as below good is good but good is sometime bad and sometime good you are very good and good is always good ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of string occurrences to display 0 entries in output

Hello Friends, Can somebody assist an issue I am having? I have a separate file with a list of account ids XXX200B02Y01 XXX200B03Y01 XXX200B05Y01 XXX200B07Y01 XXX200B08Y01 I call the file, and run an egrep against a directory and logfiles AccountID=$(cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strictly grep (with before and after args) for last N number of occurrences?

Here is my grep string to print only the last occurrence, with before and after lines. Note that the tail Argument is sum of B and A args + 1, so that it prints the data of only the last 1 match. Now I need to print last 2 such matches. I thought of doubling the tail arg like 5+5+1 (For -- line),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samjna
2 Replies
RASORT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RASORT(1)

NAME
rasort - sort argus(8) data file. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000-2003 QoSient. All rights reserved. SYNOPSIS
rasort [[-M sortmode] [sortmode] ...] [raoptions] DESCRIPTION
Rasort reads argus data from an argus-data source, sorts the records based on the criteria specified on the command line, and outputs a valid argus-stream. OPTIONS
Rasort, like all ra based clients, supports a number of ra options including filtering of input argus records through a terminating filter expression. See ra(1) for a complete description of ra options. rasort(1) specific options are: -M sortmode Supported sortmodes are: time record start time <default> startime record start time <default> lasttime record last time. trans aggregation record count. dur record total duration. avgdur record average duration. saddr source IP addr. daddr destination IP addr. proto transaction protocol. sport source port number. dport destination port number. stos source TOS byte value. dtos destination TOS byte value. sttl src -> dst TTL value. dttl dst -> src TTL value. bytes total transaction bytes. sbytes src -> dst transaction bytes. dbytes dst -> src transaction bytes. pkts total transaction packet count. spkts src -> dst packet count. dpkts dst -> src packet count. load bits per second. loss pkts retransmitted or dropped. rate pkts per second. tranref argus transaction reference number. seq argus sequence number. srcid argus source identifier. INVOCATION
A sample invocation of rasort(1). This call reads argus(8) data from inputfile and sorts the IP protocol based argus(8) data, first by the destination IP address, then by the service (destination) port number and then by the source IP address, and writes the results to stdout. For most services, this arranges argus(8) formatted data by server, service, and then by client. rasort -r inputfile -M daddr dport saddr - ip SEE ALSO
ra(1), rarc(5), argus(8), tcpdump(1) FILES
AUTHORS
Carter Bullard (carter@qosient.com). BUGS
07 November 2000 RASORT(1)