Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.date not working please help Post 302501219 by Corona688 on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 02:16:58 AM
Old 03-03-2011
I'm still not completely sure I understand what you want. You're copying multiple directories into one destination directory, but need to rename the directories in the process? You can't put a * in the destination like that, this isn't like DOS: The shell splits * for you before cp is even run, so you end up inputting stuff into cp that doesn't make sense if you * for things that don't exist yet.

I think you're going to have to split it into seperate cp calls.

Code:
for DIR in /home/*
do
        # Don't copy exp into exp/exp-timestamp!  It'd copy the copied copy copies!
        [ "$DIR" == "/home/exp" ] && continue

NAME=`basename "$DIR"`
        cp -p "/home/${NAME}" "/home/exp/`date`-${NAME}"
done

Last edited by Corona688; 03-03-2011 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: missing backtick
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

home network not working!

i just linked 2 100MHz Linux kernel 2.4.2 boxes togeather using a direct cable connection, on two 3Com PCI network cards, using the EtherLink III chipset. Unfortuanately, when I boot both PCs, i get a loading interface: eth0 for five minutes, then a failed flag. No networking suppt. in windows,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris888
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

$HOME is not getting it's value.

#!/bin/ksh while read line < elig_jobs.txt do #Gets the field from the elig_jobs.txt file that has the input location path. INPUTD=`echo "$line" | cut -c240-289` (ex: $HOME/2005) echo inputdirectory: $INPUTD (this prints $HOME/2005) I want it to print /data/user/2005... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

3. Programming

HOME env

Do you know shell in Linux without HOME env. Best regards, Iliyan Varshilov (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilko_partizan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with multiple home directories.

I need to rename a directory in every home directory on a given workstation. I am a newb to scripting so maybe thats why I cant exactly figure out how to correctly do this. The first thing I need to be able to do to write this script is figure out how to list all the directorys (these are not... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding date to oracle exp log

I want to add a date/time stamp to the front of each line in an oracle exp log file. I created a shell script: rm -f expTest.Pipe mknod expTest.Pipe p date "+%Y.%m.%d %T" nawk -f expTest.nawk expTest.Pipe > expTest.Tlog & exp userid=UID/PW@DB file=expTest.dmp log=expTest.log owner=OWNER 2>>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KrisOracleGuy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract a part of a path like (input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp)

Hi, I need to make some extraction . with the following input to get the right output. input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp and input: aex1234 ===> output: ex Thanks for your help, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

7. Programming

how to simulate "mkdir -p /home/blah1/blah2/blah3" in "c" where only /home exist

I'm trying to make use of mkdir(char *pathname, S_IRWXU) to create the directories. but it only creates one directory at a time. so I have to separate the tokens for "/home/blah1/blah2/blah3" as "home blah1 blah2 blah3" using delimiter "/", but it is again hectic to create such directory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinumedge
8 Replies

8. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

9. Solaris

New Oracle Home

How do I set ORACLE_HOME location? When I type echo $$ORACLE_HOME it gives me /u01/app/oracle//product/10.2.0/dbhome_1 which has been deleted. I just installed Oracle 11g and this is supposed to be a new oracle home /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1 Any help from the community... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: newborndba
21 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer

Retro Games has announced that the C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan, available December 2019. See also: CNN: Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard YouTube: The C64 | Trailer ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies