Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting any savant ? using AWK/SED to remove newline character between two strings : conditional removal Post 302501188 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 11:18:10 PM
Old 03-03-2011
My solution #1 (no dependance on blank lines) produces the following output for your 2nd example:

Code:
Begin Transaction ;
She sells
sea shells
by
the
sea shore
End Transaction ;
Begin Transaction ;
For if she sells sea-shells on the sea-shore
 Then I'm sure she sells sea-shore shells.
End transaction ;
Begin Transaction ;
The shells she sells are sea-shells, I'm sure.replace function ()Blah

How is the program to know to stop joining lines at replace function () ? Should it to stop joining once a fullstop char (".") is encountered?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Character SED/AWK removal

I have a script that produces an output containing '/.ssh'. I am trying to find a way of parsing only this data from a single line, without removing any other special characters contained within the output as a result of the parse. Any help would be appreciated (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raggedranger333
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk remove newline

Hi, I have input file contains sql queries i need to eliminate newlines from it. when i open it vi text editor and runs :%s/'\n/'/g it provides required result. but when i run sed command from shell prompt it doesn't impact outfile is still same as inputfile. shell] sed -e... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help with character removal

Hello I've got a string of text with a number in pence, e.g. 0.52p, I need to remove the 'p' so that it just reads 0.52 without of course removing all the other 'p' characters. Many thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed script to remove strings

Below am trying to separate FA-7A:1, In output file it should display 7A 1 Command am using Gives same output as below format: 22B7 10000000c9720873 0 22B7 10000000c95d5d8b 0 22BB 10000000c97843a2 0 22BB 10000000c975adbd 0 Not showing FA ports as required format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove / and character using awk or sed

Below i am trying to remove "/" and "r" from the output, so i need output as: hdiskpower3 hdisk0 hdisk1 #inq | grep 5773 | awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/dev//g' | awk -F"/" '{$1=$1}1' .....................................................//rhdiskpower0 //rhdiskpower1 //rhdiskpower2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain character strings with awk?

Hi all, I need to remove DBPATH= and /db from the string below using awk (or sed, as it also exists on the machine). Input: DBPATH=/some/path/database/db Desired output: /some/path/database Thank you! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
GETUSERSHELL(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   GETUSERSHELL(3)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get permitted user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getusershell(), setusershell(), endusershell(): _BSD_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE < 500) DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns the next line from the file /etc/shells, opening the file if necessary. The line should contain the pathname of a valid user shell. If /etc/shells does not exist or is unreadable, getusershell() behaves as if /bin/sh and /bin/csh were listed in the file. The setusershell() function rewinds /etc/shells. The endusershell() function closes /etc/shells. RETURN VALUE
The getusershell() function returns a NULL pointer on end-of-file. FILES
/etc/shells CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. SEE ALSO
shells(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2007-07-26 GETUSERSHELL(3)