Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep output Post 302500983 by michaelrozar17 on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 07:02:39 AM
Old 03-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanal
my actual requirement is...suppose a folder contains 10 files..each like
SO if i put ls -ltr,it will display like this

-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 98887680 02 Mar 12:01 arch_1_105366_720809746.dbf
-rw-r----- 1 oracle dba ---------------------- arch_1_1-----------------.dbf
----------------------------------------------------

instead of that ,put one command which displays the last word only...
If you want to display only last word/file then try the below commands suggested earlier instead of ls -ltr
Code:
ls 
ls -1 # 1 is numeric one

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange output from grep

Hi, I am getting different output for grep depending which directory I am in. The following is a transcript of my session, I am using egrep but have also used grep -E. The directory names have been changed for security: $pwd /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 $echo 000000 |egrep -v $echo $? 1 $cd ..... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

output of grep

hi, why the following is giving entire /etc/passwd file as output even when it does not contain ^ or $ . grep ' ' /etc/passwd whereas the following is not giving any output grep ' ^$ ' /etc/passwd (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive grep output

I'm using this command to get a recursive grep find . -name *.i -exec grep 'blah blah' {} \; -exec ls {} \; now I would like to obtain just the list of the files and not also the line of the file. How should I change the syntax? thank you, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP with contain output

How can I perform a grep and it will give me a contain word (maintenance) instead of a string or the whole line of info. grep with exclusive output? or is there a CONTAIN with IF statement ? I have a file call yast2_vhost.conf and it contain multiple entries call maintenance.html... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoom@hostwebase
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with grep output

Hello, I have a list of stings that I'm using with grep to determine which files contain the strings. Here's what I have now: list of strings in a file (list.txt): /directory/direc tory/file.jsp /dire ctory/directory/direct ory/file.jsp grep I'm doing to find files that contain the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: upstate_boy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep output

hi i am running grep -c on a bunch of files some of which may be non existent. The output i get is in the same order as the files grep checks and this is what i want as i need to copy the output to a spreadsheet. However when i tried to pipe the output to sed to strip away the filenames and just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep output problem

Hi all, Here is my problem: I'm testing a login script for our mac Machines. This script output's in a csv file. The login script looks like this: echo "${computername}|${data1}|${data2}|${data3}" >> file.csv The csv file looks like this: Computername1|data1|data2|data3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattiasvdm
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep the desired output and output to a file?

currently I have process from a raw file to this stage ALTER TABLE "EXCEL_ADMIN"."TC_TXN_VOID" ADD CONSTRAINT "PK_TC_TXN_VOID" PRIMARY KEY ("TC_TXN_IID") ALTER TABLE "EXCEL_ADMIN"."TC_TXN_AMT" ADD CONSTRAINT "PK_TC_TXN_AMT" PRIMARY KEY ("TC_TXN_AMT_IID") ALTER TABLE... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to have the output in grep?

Hi guys - I am trying to have a certain file display information horizontally divided by a pipe. for example file name: foo.dat has information like this: name1 name2 name3 namenamename4 namene5 I would like it to display like this: name1|name2|name3|namenamename4|namene5 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep output

Hi. I have a command line that will generate exif data from .jpg files... So to get the Camera Model I use: find -iname "*.jpg" -print0 | xargs -0 exiftool -a | grep "Camera Model" But I want the file name AND the camera model... How to I get the grep to give me TWO bits of information from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuftyDave
2 Replies
CHING(6)							   Games Manual 							  CHING(6)

NAME
ching, fortune - the book of changes and other cookies SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/ching [ hexagram ] /usr/games/fortune DESCRIPTION
The I Ching or Book of Changes is an ancient Chinese oracle that has been in use for centuries as a source of wisdom and advice. The text of the oracle (as it is sometimes known) consists of sixty-four hexagrams, each symbolized by a particular arrangement of six straight (---) and broken (- -) lines. These lines have values ranging from six through nine, with the even values indicating the broken lines. Each hexagram consists of two major sections. The Judgement relates specifically to the matter at hand (E.g., "It furthers one to have somewhere to go.") while the Image describes the general attributes of the hexagram and how they apply to one's own life ("Thus the supe- rior man makes himself strong and untiring."). When any of the lines have the values six or nine, they are moving lines; for each there is an appended judgement which becomes signifi- cant. Furthermore, the moving lines are inherently unstable and change into their opposites; a second hexagram (and thus an additional judgement) is formed. Normally, one consults the oracle by fixing the desired question firmly in mind and then casting a set of changes (lines) using yarrow-stalks or tossed coins. The resulting hexagram will be the answer to the question. Using an algorithm suggested by S. C. Johnson, the Unix oracle simply reads a question from the standard input (up to an EOF) and hashes the individual characters in combination with the time of day, process id and any other magic numbers which happen to be lying around the system. The resulting value is used as the seed of a random number generator which drives a simulated coin-toss divination. The answer is then piped through nroff for formatting and will appear on the standard output. For those who wish to remain steadfast in the old traditions, the oracle will also accept the results of a personal divination using, for example, coins. To do this, cast the change and then type the resulting line values as an argument. The impatient modern may prefer to settle for Chinese cookies; try fortune. SEE ALSO
It furthers one to see the great man. DIAGNOSTICS
The great prince issues commands, Founds states, vests families with fiefs. Inferior people should not be employed. BUGS
Waiting in the mud Brings about the arrival of the enemy. If one is not extremely careful, Somebody may come up from behind and strike him. Misfortune. CHING(6)