Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting any savant ? using AWK/SED to remove newline character between two strings : conditional removal Post 302500924 by bartus11 on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 03:51:32 AM
Old 03-02-2011
Try:
Code:
awk -vRS= 'NR==3{gsub("\n","")}1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special Character SED/AWK removal

I have a script that produces an output containing '/.ssh'. I am trying to find a way of parsing only this data from a single line, without removing any other special characters contained within the output as a result of the parse. Any help would be appreciated (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raggedranger333
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk remove newline

Hi, I have input file contains sql queries i need to eliminate newlines from it. when i open it vi text editor and runs :%s/'\n/'/g it provides required result. but when i run sed command from shell prompt it doesn't impact outfile is still same as inputfile. shell] sed -e... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help with character removal

Hello I've got a string of text with a number in pence, e.g. 0.52p, I need to remove the 'p' so that it just reads 0.52 without of course removing all the other 'p' characters. Many thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed script to remove strings

Below am trying to separate FA-7A:1, In output file it should display 7A 1 Command am using Gives same output as below format: 22B7 10000000c9720873 0 22B7 10000000c95d5d8b 0 22BB 10000000c97843a2 0 22BB 10000000c975adbd 0 Not showing FA ports as required format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove / and character using awk or sed

Below i am trying to remove "/" and "r" from the output, so i need output as: hdiskpower3 hdisk0 hdisk1 #inq | grep 5773 | awk '{print $1}' | sed 's/dev//g' | awk -F"/" '{$1=$1}1' .....................................................//rhdiskpower0 //rhdiskpower1 //rhdiskpower2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain character strings with awk?

Hi all, I need to remove DBPATH= and /db from the string below using awk (or sed, as it also exists on the machine). Input: DBPATH=/some/path/database/db Desired output: /some/path/database Thank you! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)