Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: string characters in UNIX
Operating Systems Linux string characters in UNIX Post 302500865 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 09:40:29 PM
Old 03-01-2011
Assuming that there is a space on either side of "v2010":
Code:
perl -n -i.bak -e 'print unless /WINNT/ && /\sv2010\s/' *.*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from a string

I need help to strip out the first two characters of the variable $FileName. Please help. FileName=`find . -mtime +0 -name '*'` Contents of variable $FileName: ./SRIZVI4.MCR_IDEAS_REPORT.LAST.052705.075405.csv I want to strip out "./" and place the contents in another variable. How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mh53j_fe
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string between two different characters

I want to extract a string from a line in a text file between two different characters: for example: :string" I want to extract string. It has to be done in a one-liner. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
11 Replies

4. Programming

string with invalid characters

This is a pretty straight-forward question. Within a program of mine, I have a string that's going to be used as a filename, but it might have some invalid characters in it that wouldn't be valid in a filename. If there are any invalid characters, I want to get rid of them and essentially squeeze... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

split a string into 3 characters

Hi, I have a requirement like this. String=abcdefghijkl I need to split this string into a substrign each 3 characters and write output into a file. Output: abc def ghi jkl Can any one please help me how can i acheive this Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove last 4 characters from a string

I'm tring to remove the last 4 characters from strings in a file i.e. cat /tmp/test iwishicouldremovethis icouldremovethos so i would end up with the last 4 characters from each of the above i.e. this thos I thought of using cut -c ... but I'm not sure how many characters will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: josslate
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of characters in a string

Hi there, I have some user input in a variable called $VAR, and i need to ensure that the string is 5 or less characters .... does anybody know how i can count the characters in the variables ? any help would be great, cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

get certain characters in a string

Hi Everyone, I have a.txt 12341" <sip:191@vo.my>;asdf=q" 116aaaa<sip:00091@vo.my>;penguin would like to get the output 191 00091 Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
WALL(1) 							   User Commands							   WALL(1)

NAME
wall - write a message to all users SYNOPSIS
wall [-n] [-t timeout] [-g group] [message | file] DESCRIPTION
wall displays a message, or the contents of a file, or otherwise its standard input, on the terminals of all currently logged in users. The command will wrap lines that are longer than 79 characters. Short lines are whitespace padded to have 79 characters. The command will always put a carriage return and new line at the end of each line. Only the superuser can write on the terminals of users who have chosen to deny messages or are using a program which automatically denies messages. Reading from a file is refused when the invoker is not superuser and the program is set-user-ID or set-group-ID. OPTIONS
-n, --nobanner Suppress the banner. -t, --timeout timeout Abandon the write attempt to the terminals after timeout seconds. This timeout must be a positive integer. The default value is 300 seconds, which is a legacy from the time when people ran terminals over modem lines. -g, --group group Limit printing message to members of group defined as a group argument. The argument can be group name or GID. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
Some sessions, such as wdm, that have in the beginning of utmp(5) ut_type data a ':' character will not get the message from wall. This is done to avoid write errors. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), write(1), shutdown(8) HISTORY
A wall command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The wall command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux August 2013 WALL(1)