Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users cut words based on the word count of a line Post 302500456 by cokedude on Monday 28th of February 2011 03:54:52 PM
Old 02-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
This will return the last 'word' from the record/line.
Isn't that what your examples illustrate?

When you say 'cut words' what do you example mean?
Please provide a sample input a desired output.
I have several lines similar to this. The first one if you count it you can see has 6 words and the second one has 4 words. On the lines that have 6 words I would like to cut the 6th word and output it to my screen and on the lines that have 4 words I would like to cut the 4th word and output it to my screen.

Quote:
mon tues wed thur fri sat
mon tues wed thur
Output would be
sat
thur

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut last line of a word

Hi all, want to delete a crahecter from each line..? how can i do it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count no of words in a line

hi i have a string like str=abc def ghi jkl now i want to count the no of words in the string please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count no of words in a line

hi i have a line "abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc,def,ghi,abc" I want to print the no of words, words separated by comma please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words on each line in file using xargs

Hi, im having a problem with xargs, i want to cout word of each line in file, and i HAVE to use xargs, i tried: cat file | xargs wc -w .....that uses all words in file like name of files and passed then to wc so it worte wc :somewordformfile is not i afile or directory cat file | xargs -I{} wc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwetek
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fetch rows based on line numbers or based on the beginning of a word?

I have a file which will have rows like shown below, ST*820*316054716 RMR*IV*11333331009*PO*40.31 REF*IV*22234441009*xsss471-2762 DTM*003*091016 ENT*000006 RMR*IV*2222234444*PO*239.91 REF*IV*1234445451009*LJhjlkhkj471-2762 </SPAN> DTM*003* 091016 RMR*IV*2223344441009*PO*40.31... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words starting from a matching word in a line

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: wwwe 1 ioie ewew yyy uuu 88 erehrlk 4 ihoiwhe lkjhassad lkhsad yyy mmm 45 jhash lhasdhs lkhsdkjsn ouiyrshroi oihoihswodnw oiyhewe yyy ggg 77 I want to remove everything after "yyy" and including "yyy" from each line in the file. So I want:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words from a matching word in a line?

Hi Guys, :p I have a file like this: 2010-04-25 00:00:30,095 INFO - ]- start process U100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,096 DEBUG - ] -- call EJB 2010-04-25 00:00:30,709 INFO - - end processU100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,710 DEBUG - got message=Sorry I want to out put format. 2010-04-25... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count and print all repeating words in a line

Gurus, I have a file containing lines like this : Now, number of words in each line varies. My need is, if a word repeats in a line get it printed. Also total number of repeats. So, the output would be : Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks & Regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort words based on word count on each line

Hi Folks :) I have a .txt file with thousands of words. I'm trying to sort the lines in order based on number of words per line. Example from: word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word to desired output: word (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
SQL::ReservedWords::MySQL(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    SQL::ReservedWords::MySQL(3pm)

NAME
SQL::ReservedWords::MySQL - Reserved SQL words by MySQL SYNOPSIS
if ( SQL::ReservedWords::MySQL->is_reserved( $word ) ) { print "$word is a reserved MySQL word!"; } DESCRIPTION
Determine if words are reserved by MySQL. METHODS
is_reserved( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by either MySQL 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0 or 5.1. is_reserved_by_mysql3( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by MySQL 3.2. is_reserved_by_mysql4( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by either MySQL 4.0 or 4.1. is_reserved_by_mysql5( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by either MySQL 5.0 or 5.1. reserved_by( $word ) Returns a list with MySQL versions that reserves $word. words Returns a list with all reserved words. EXPORTS
Nothing by default. Following subroutines can be exported: is_reserved is_reserved_by_mysql3 is_reserved_by_mysql4 is_reserved_by_mysql5 reserved_by words SEE ALSO
SQL::ReservedWords <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/> AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "chansen@cpan.org" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-28 SQL::ReservedWords::MySQL(3pm)