Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Core Dumping?
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Core Dumping? Post 302500341 by fpmurphy on Monday 28th of February 2011 09:21:40 AM
Old 02-28-2011
kdump is for kernel crash dumping - not core dumps.

Assuming abrtd is not running, to find the core dump pattern do:
Code:
# sysctl -a | grep core_pattern

and then search for that.

For example
Code:
# sysctl -a | grep core_pattern
kernel.core_pattern = /tmp/core.%p

This means that the core dump files will be generated in the “/tmp” directory. The “%p” extension is used to append the process id of the application that crashed. BTW, the variable kernel.core_pattern can also used to change the name of core dump files so they are not necessarily named "core"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumping files to tape

Can anyone please help.... how can I dump just a single file to tape using the ufsrestore command!!! I'm a newbie to unix and It's driving me mad.. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonathan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dumping multiple Folders

How would i go about dumping my /home/ directory and my /root directory i currently have..... dump -f /root/backup.dp /home/ /root/ ...but dump only seems to see only my first source directory and not the second (/root in this case) anyone know a way around this..or if it is even... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freakytah
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumping data and compressing

I have a utility provided by our vendor to dump data from their system. It is expsysdb -s prod proddata.dmp "-s" and "prod" are parameters and "proddata.dmp" is the file name that the data is dumped to (this can be any name). Our current system (AIX 4.3) has a file size limit set to 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumping to tape from /tmp

I'm trying to dump files to tape and im just wondering can i dump from /tmp swap partition? ufsdump 0ubf 126 /dev/rmt/1 swap/tmp/blah.tar DUMP: Cannot open dump device `swap/tmp/blah.tar': No such file or directory ufsdump 0ubf 126 /dev/rmt/1 /tmp/NotificationServer_1.bku DUMP:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumping network packets

Hi, My Solaris Workstation has got 4 NICS, out of which one of them(bge3) is unplugged from the rest of the external network & connected to other interface(bge1). The isolated NIC serves as a simulated Ethernet Interface for my application under development. Now, I'd like to capture RAW... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

coreadm diasble a process from core dumping

Hello All Is it possible to disable a specific process from core dumping ? In my environment I have 2 bespoke application processes which needs to be stopped from core dumping but any other process should be allowed to core dump. If I do : coreadm -d process it will stop all per processes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baner_n
3 Replies

7. Programming

strcat() dumping core

strcat dumping core in the situation like main() { char* item; char* p=sat_item; char type; item=(char*) malloc(strlen(p)); strncpy(type,p,4); type='\0'; strcat(item,type); //dumping core } I couldn't get why strcat dumping core? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

script running with "ksh" dumping core but not with "sh"

Hi, I have small script written in korn shell. When it is called from different script, its dumping core, but no core dump when we run it standalone. And its not dumping core if we run the script using "/bin/sh" instead of "ksh" Can some body please help me how to resolve this issue. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: simhe02
9 Replies

9. IP Networking

dumping traffic of a singel application

I would like to know if there is a way to dump the network traffic of a single application. I tried with tcpdump but I couldn't find a way. Is there a patch, which enables that or does someone know an other application to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smf15
2 Replies
VCONFIG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							VCONFIG(8)

NAME
vconfig - VLAN (802.1q) configuration program. SYNOPSIS
vconfig [lots of long options] DESCRIPTION
The vconfig program allows you to create and remove vlan-devices on a vlan enabled kernel. Vlan-devices are virtual ethernet devices which represents the virtual lans on the physical lan. OPTIONS
add [interface-name] [vlan-id] Creates a vlan-device on [interface-name]. The resulting vlan-device will be called according to the nameing convention set. rem [vlan-device] Removes the named vlan-device. set_flag [vlan-device] 0 | 1 When 1, ethernet header reorders are turned on. Dumping the device will appear as a common ethernet device without vlans. When 0(default) however, ethernet headers are not reordered, which results in vlan tagged packets when dumping the device. Usually the default gives no problems, but some packet filtering programs might have problems with it. set_egress_map [vlan-device] [skb-priority] [vlan-qos] This flags that outbound packets with a particular skb-priority should be tagged with the particular vlan priority vlan-qos. The default vlan priority is 0. set_ingress_map [vlan-device] [skb-priority] [vlan-qos] This flags that inbound packets with the particular vlan priority vlan-qos should be queued with a particular skb-priority. The default skb-priority is 0. set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID | VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD | DEV_PLUS_VID | DEV_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD Sets the way vlan-device names are created. Use vconfig without arguments to see the different formats. NOTES VLAN will use Broadcom's NICE interface when the network device supports it. This is necessary, since usually the hardware of these devices already removes the vlan tag from the ethernet packet. The set_flag option on vlan-devices created on such a physical net- work device will be ignored. Dumping the network-device will show only untagged(non-vlan) traffic, and dumping the vlan-devices will only show traffic intended for that vlan, without the tags. FILES
/proc/net/vlan/config /proc/net/vlan/[vlan-device] SEE ALSO
ip(8), ifconfig(8) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Ard van Breemen <ard@kwaak.net> The vlan patch is written by Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> VCONFIG(8)