Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: quotes in shell variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting quotes in shell variables Post 302500147 by mmcclain on Sunday 27th of February 2011 03:01:24 PM
Old 02-27-2011
quotes in shell variables

On my Debian system under bash the following command returns 24 files.
Code:
 find /root/bin/ -name '*'

while the following returns none
Code:
 FIND="-name '*'"; find /root/bin/ $FIND

Asking on the Debian Users list I've been shown work arounds but not explanations. I'm hoping someone here can explain 'why' $FIND is not being interpreted by find as I expected. Thanks, Mike McClain

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

how to pass variables surrounded in double quotes to awk?

Hi, I'm making progress on this but hung up on one last detail. I'd like to use AWK to pass the system date and time(among other things) to the first line of a file. Here's what I have: BEGIN {TOTALPP = 0;FREEPP=0;USEDPP=0;print "LPAR NAME:",lpar,"DATE:",tdate } I call AWK with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cruiser
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use in bash variables and quotes

I have some troubles with variables and quotes... I want: if $URL is empty (no user input) go to http://www.localhost/index.php/ else add this string (search) "?s=+$URL" EXAMPLE: No user input string= http://www.localhost/index.php/ User input = "unix" string=... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use single quotes for SQL command in shell script

Hi. please help me to write the following query in a shell script. the Query is :select no,salary from emp_info where name='$var_name' the following is my code. #! /bin/sh var_name=$1 sqlplus -s user/pwd@DB << EOF select no,salary from emp_info where name="'$var_name'";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use variables with double quotes sed -i

I have the following line of code: sed -i "/MatchText/ s/${tgrepLine}/${tNewLine}/" filename.outputfilename.output contains this: blablabla PATH=".:/home/root/bin/:/usr/local/bin/" blablablaVariable ${tgrepLine} contains: PATH=".:/home/root/bin/:/usr/local/bin/" Variable ${tNewLine}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: inspire87
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes!

Hello. I'm trying to write a bash script that uses GNU screen and have hit a brick wall that has cost me many hours... (I'm sure it has something to do with quoting/globbing, which is why I post it here) I can make a script that does the following just fine: test.sh: #!/bin/bash # make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jondecker76
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script - to append single quotes and comma

file1 ---- 34556745 32678343 31576776 31455566 21356666 I want to assign the record values to a variable in the below format, so that I can use output in .sql file for querying in database. ('34556745', '32678343', '31576776', '31455566', '21356666') ----------- below is the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivrsk
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex bash/sed, variables and nested quotes

Ok, this one isn't for everybody, it's pretty tough and I've spent a good deal of time on it without figuring it out yet. Can anybody get this script to work: #!/bin/bash cq_fname="%let outputfile="/user/cq_"$1".csv";" sed "29s/.*/\"$cq_fname\"/" file1.sas >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocloud
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell adding extra single quotes

AIX 6.1 bash shell #!/bin/bash -x STATEMENT="cvs commit -m \"This is\" ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY" echo $STATEMENT exit 0 This is the output + STATEMENT='cvs commit -m "This is" ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY' + echo cvs commit -m '"This' 'is"' ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY cvs commit -m "This is" ../PBP/EIR.ENTRY + exit... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpodhrad
26 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies
HAL-FIND-BY-CAPABILITY(1)				      General Commands Manual					 HAL-FIND-BY-CAPABILITY(1)

NAME
hal-find-by-capability - find device objects by capability matching SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability [options] DESCRIPTION
hal-get-capability finds device object in the HAL device database by looking at device capabilities. For more information about both the big picture and specific HAL properties, refer to the HAL spec which can be found in /usr/share/doc/hal-doc/spec/hal-spec.html depending on the distribution. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability The name of the capability. --verbose Verbose output. --help Print out usage. --version Print the version. RETURN VALUE
If devices matching the given capability are found each UDI (Unique Device Identifier) is printed on stdout and the program exits with exit code 0. If no devices are found or an error occured, the program exits with a non-zero exit code. BUGS
Please send bug reports to either the distribution or the HAL mailing list, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/hal on how to subscribe. SEE ALSO
hald(8), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-property(1), hal-find-by-property(1), dbus-send(1) AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <david@fubar.dk> with a lot of help from many others. HAL-FIND-BY-CAPABILITY(1)