Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Total number of users logged in a server from uptime Post 302499809 by methyl on Friday 25th of February 2011 12:24:42 PM
Old 02-25-2011
On my system's version of "last", "last -R" gives the source machine of the login.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

uptime reports differntly for different users

when i run uptime as root i get the following result (which is incorrect) uptime 14:33pm up -176 days, -11:-38, 0 users, load average: 4.59, 4.16, 4.03 when i run it as a normal user i get the following (which is correct) uptime 02:33PM up 320 days, 15:02, 6 users, load... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zuessh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Users logged in longer than machine uptime?

SCO 5.06 Anyone ever have an issue where: uptime returns: SCO:/# uptime 4:40pm up 4:50, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 w returns: SCO:/# w User Tty Login@ Idle JCPU PCPU What root tty01 - 72:20 - - -ksh I've rebooted yet... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to find the number of users logged in

Hi, can u say to display the number of users that logged before me. thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanshine
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of users logged in script

My admin needs a shell script in Korn that will show conditions based on users logged in. I have never used the Korn shell and have no clue what I am doing, can anyone help. here are the conditions that need to be returned. if users are below 5 displays should be: performance is high if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vthokiefan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the users logged in according to the number of processes

Is it possible to get a list of users sorted by the number of processes executed by each. I have a HP - UX server with 2800 processes running currently. And I want to know the number of processes owned by each person logged in to that server.something like below: user1 : 150 Processes user2 :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineer
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server

Hi, I am very new to scripting and I wanted to write a unix shell script which can give me, 1)number of cpu's in a box 2)number of cores per cpu 3)total number of cores in abox (ie multiplying 1&2) I am also trying to figure out how to check if hyper-threading is enabled in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven12
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get total number of users and their groups in remote UNIX machine

Hi All I am trying to do ssh to different server and on the remote server for each user trying to get groups of that user but i am not getting the required result. ssh username@ip_address "for i in $( cat /etc/passwd| cut -d: -f1);do groups $i done;exit" >>abc.txt only names are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ekamjot
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Logged in users on a Linux server are counted twice

Scenario: 1. Log into a linux server interface as root. 2. Inititiate an SSH session with the server using Putty and a valid user account (e.g. fakeuser). 3. Log into TTY2 of the linux server interface using another valid user account (e.g. faketester). Issue: With these three login... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies

9. Linux

Logged in users on a Linux server are counted twice

Scenario: Log into a linux server interface as root. Inititiate an SSH session with the server using Putty and a valid user account (e.g. fakeuser). Log into TTY2 of the linux server interface using another valid user account (e.g. faketester). Issue: With these three login sessions,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterthered
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Tip] How to display the number of logged-in users

In a professional environment with traditional application you often want (or are asked) to report the users. Traditionally there is the who command who | awk '{print $1}'telnetd or sshd register the users in the utmp file, to be shown with who, w, users, finger, pinky, ... In addition they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
1 Replies
NETRC(5)                                                      BSD File Formats Manual                                                     NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)