Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting kill process from a file or directly with top Post 302499803 by methyl on Friday 25th of February 2011 12:11:57 PM
Old 02-25-2011
What Operating System and version are you running?
I assume from the error message that /bin/sh is a link to bash on your system.

I don't think that "top" is suitable for this exercise because of the amount of irrelevant screen control characters etc. you will get. The formatted output from "top" is unsuitable for processing in unix Shell.
Really needs to use the "ps" command (not "top") combined with some base logic to decide if the process is rogue.

In general, never issue "kill -9" unless you are having trouble shutting a system down. Certainly never issue "kill -9" to a database process while the database is up.

Btw. The first script contains an error (wrong sort of quotes) but this does not mean that the script will work:
Quote:
proc='cat pid'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to kill process from file

hello i want to write a script in unix which read file that contains : hour and process_id like this file bbb: 0:30 6678 1:40 8789 and for every line he check if the hour greater then 30 minutes he kill the process_id the script looks like this cat bbb | while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naamas03
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to kill process from file

i have a script that read a file which contains process_id and time that he's in and it lookes like this 0:30 54545 0:44 66788 0:90 23233 i need to read every line in the file and get the time and if the process is greater then 0:30 to kill the process id the script looks like... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
17 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

4. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top output for a specific process to a file

Hi, I have the following script, and it is driving me nuts. It just hangs, I've tried all kinds of tricks, but it won't work. I know it can, it is pretty straight forward. It hangs when it tries to output $X Any help appreciated! #!/bin/bash set -o xtrace command="top -b"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloke
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill top 5 memory uses process

Hi All, how to kill 5 top memory used process in my hp-ux. Thanks, Kki (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Soft kill a process to redirect the last kbytes output to a file

Hey guys, I have a python script that I call with this line: python mypythonscript.py >> results.csv &The problem is that the redirection from the stdout to the file results.csv only writes 4096 kbyte blocks. So if i kill this process with kill the last kbytes that the script produce will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mastaer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill the process when the file is locked?

I was trying to read the file to create a table in SAS and I got error as follows while I read. Resource is write-locked by another user. File =/usr/sas/sas_config/Lev1/SASApp/StoredProcessServ​er/Logs/SASApp_STPServer_2015-09-29_tmp_18208.log. System Error Code = 0. ERROR: File is in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to report file size, pid and also kill the process

Hi All, Looking for a quick LINUX shell script which can continuously monitors the flle size, report the process which is creating a file greater than certain limit and also kill that process. Can someone please help me on this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasavimacherla
4 Replies
MYSQL_ZAP(1)						       MySQL Database System						      MYSQL_ZAP(1)

NAME
mysql_zap - kill processes that match a pattern SYNOPSIS
mysql_zap [-signal] [-?Ift] pattern DESCRIPTION
mysql_zap kills processes that match a pattern. It uses the ps command and Unix signals, so it runs on Unix and Unix-like systems. Invoke mysql_zap like this: shell> mysql_zap [-signal] [-?Ift] pattern A process matches if its output line from the ps command contains the pattern. By default, mysql_zap asks for confirmation for each process. Respond y to kill the process, or q to exit mysql_zap. For any other response, mysql_zap does not attempt to kill the process. If the -signal option is given, it specifies the name or number of the signal to send to each process. Otherwise, mysql_zap tries first with TERM (signal 15) and then with KILL (signal 9). mysql_zap supports the following additional options: o --help, -?, -I Display a help message and exit. o -f Force mode. mysql_zap attempts to kill each process without confirmation. o -t Test mode. Display information about each process but do not kill it. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997, 2014, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.5 01/30/2014 MYSQL_ZAP(1)