Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to create a filesystem with the correct computation of PP Post 302499610 by cwiggler on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:25:07 PM
Old 02-24-2011
How to create a filesystem with the correct computation of PP

Hi everyone, im having a problem with the computation of the PP size for creating a filesystem.

for example my requirement is to create a new filesystem with 10gig of system on aix 5.1 and aix 5.3 system.

here's the result when i run lsvg vgSAN-sparkle

could any provide me an exact computation of PP size for the creation of 10gig filesystem based on the result below.

maybe a working complete example is also appreciated thank you.

Code:
VOLUME GROUP:   vgSAN-sparkle           VG IDENTIFIER:  0024566a00004c0000000110319d5a7a
VG STATE:       active                   PP SIZE:        128 megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION:  read/write               TOTAL PPs:      268 (34304 megabytes)
MAX LVs:        512                      FREE PPs:       159 (20352 megabytes)
LVs:            4                        USED PPs:       109 (13952 megabytes)
OPEN LVs:       4                        QUORUM:         3
TOTAL PVs:      4                        VG DESCRIPTORS: 4
STALE PVs:      0                        STALE PPs:      0
ACTIVE PVs:     4                        AUTO ON:        yes
MAX PPs per PV: 1016                     MAX PVs:        128
LTG size:       128 kilobyte(s)          AUTO SYNC:      no

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: excessive formatting removed and CODE-tags added.

Last edited by bakunin; 02-25-2011 at 08:32 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Computation Problem

Hi Folks I have a file with the following sample input 919416586748,1200,31200 919416283619,3521,33521 919416811900,2440,64940 919416576012,13670,43670 Now i want to subtract the second value (where , is field separator) from the third value and display the output as follows ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PradeepRed
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to create a 2 TB UFS filesystem?

Hi, I have a 2,1 TB RAID0 Array (3- 750GB discs). I have Solaris 10 x86 installed. When I try to create a volume on this drive I receive the following error: " WARNING: /pci@0/pci8086/..../sd@6,0 (sd7) disk capacity is too large for current cbd length " I assume I can not format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: narrok
5 Replies

3. SCO

create filesystem on file

Hello, iam pretty new to SCO, installed it yesterday in vm. Now, i'd like to create a filesystem on a file like you can do on lnx or bsd. But seems not possible for me to do so on SCO OpenServer 6.0.0. Thats what i get: bash-3.00# uname -a SCO_SV scosysv 5 6.0.0 i386 bash-3.00# mkfs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user5
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Steps to Create a FileSystem HP-UX

Steps to create FileSystem, and later to modify size in HP-UX. Please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: granador
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what command was used to create a filesystem

How do we determine what command was used (either newfs or mkfs) to create a filesystem? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create ext3 filesystem on regular file?

After doing something like: dd if=/dev/zero of=ext3.img bs=1024 count=1048576 I'd like to put an ext3 filesystem on ext3.img. What should I run? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to create a Filesystem

Hi everybody, I work with UNIX-AIX OS, I have to install db2 connect , somebody could explain to me how to create a Filesystem?, user, group, and password? ( I read a little and I know there many types of Filesystems) I have no idea how to do it, Linux version 2.6.18-92.el5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lauelmar
2 Replies

8. Programming

computation migration

Hi, i need a code to implement computation migration in c. Can you guys help me out?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanvi
3 Replies

9. AIX

choosing correct VG for Filesystem extend

Hi Gurus, I have Aix 5.3 server and would like to extend the following filesystem. Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/lv_mecdr 120.00 12.04 90% 560973 14% /home/mecdrBut there's only 16G for the VG, may be i can expand it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
11 Replies
LVRESIZE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       LVRESIZE(8)

NAME
lvresize - resize a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvresize [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [--noudevsync] [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]] {[-l|--extents [+|-]LogicalEx- tentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] | [-L|--size [+|-]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]} [--poolmetadatasize [+]MetadataVolume- Size[bBsSkKmMgG] [-f|--force] [-n|--nofsck] [-r|--resizefs] LogicalVolume{Name|Path} [PhysicalVolumePath[:PE[-PE]]...] DESCRIPTION
lvresize allows you to resize a logical volume. Be careful when reducing a logical volume's size, because data in the reduced part is lost!!! You should therefore ensure that any filesystem on the volume is shrunk first so that the extents that are to be removed are not in use. Resizing snapshot logical volumes (see lvcreate(8) for information about creating snapshots) is supported as well. But to change the number of copies in a mirrored logical volume use lvconvert(8). OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. -f, --force Force resize without prompting even when it may cause data loss. -n, --nofsck Do not perform fsck before resizing filesystem when filesystem requires it. You may need to use --force to proceed with this option. -r, --resizefs Resize underlying filesystem together with the logical volume using fsadm(8). -l, --extents [+|-]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] Change or set the logical volume size in units of logical extents. With the + or - sign the value is added to or subtracted from the actual size of the logical volume and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. The total number of physical extents affected will be greater than this if, for example, the volume is mirrored. The number can also be expressed as a percentage of the total space in the Volume Group with the suffix %VG, relative to the existing size of the Logical Volume with the suffix %LV, as a percentage of the remaining free space of the PhysicalVolumes on the command line with the suffix %PVS, as a percentage of the remaining free space in the Volume Group with the suffix %FREE, or (for a snapshot) as a percentage of the total space in the Origin Logical Volume with the suffix %ORIGIN. The resulting value is rounded downward for the subtraction otherwise it is rounded upward. N.B. In a future release, when expressed as a percentage with PVS, VG or FREE, the number will be treated as an approximate total number of physical extents to be allocated or freed (including extents used by any mirrors, for example). The code may currently allocate or remove more space than you might otherwise expect. -L, --size [+|-]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Change or set the logical volume size in units of megabytes. A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes, T for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes is optional. With the + or - sign the value is added or subtracted from the actual size of the log- ical volume and rounded to the full extent size and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. -i, --stripes Stripes Gives the number of stripes to use when extending a Logical Volume. Defaults to whatever the last segment of the Logical Volume uses. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a single value throughout. --poolmetadatasize [+]MetadataVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgG] Change or set the thin pool metadata logical volume size. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the metadata volume and rounded to the full extent size and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. Maximal size is 16GiB. Default unit is megabytes. -I, --stripesize StripeSize Gives the number of kilobytes for the granularity of the stripes. Defaults to whatever the last segment of the Logical Volume uses. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a single value throughout. StripeSize must be 2^n (n = 2 to 9) for metadata in LVM1 format. For metadata in LVM2 format, the stripe size may be a larger power of 2 but must not exceed the physical extent size. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. EXAMPLES
Extend a logical volume vg1/lv1 by 16MB using physical extents /dev/sda:0-1 and /dev/sdb:0-1 for allocation of extents: lvresize -L+16M vg1/lv1 /dev/sda:0-1 /dev/sdb:0-1 SEE ALSO
fsadm(8), lvm(8), lvconvert(8), lvcreate(8), lvreduce(8), lvchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.105(2)-RHEL7 (2014-03-26) LVRESIZE(8)