Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing string with special characters in shell Post 302499580 by rdcwayx on Thursday 24th of February 2011 07:15:38 PM
Old 02-24-2011
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{gsub(/input./,""); split($0,a,"=");b[a[1]]=a[2];next} {gsub(/@/,"");for (i in b) gsub(i,b[i])}1' file2 file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing French special characters

Hi, I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c). I have tried this --- #!/bin/bash # Convert French characters to normal characters # Treat each of the files exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

5. Programming

C++ Special Characters in a String?

Hello. How can i put all of the special characters on my keyboard into a string in c++ ? I tried this but it doesn't work. string characters("~`!@#$%^&*()_-+=|\}]{ How can i accomplish this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
SFDDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							SFDDIFF(1)

NAME
sfddiff - compare two font files SYNOPSIS
sfddiff [--help] [--ignorehints] [--ignorenames] [--ignoregpos] [--ignoregsub] [--ignorebitmaps] [--exact] [--warn] [--merge outfile] [--usage] [--version] fontfile1 fontfile2 DESCRIPTION
The program sfddiff compares two font files, which may be in any format fontforge(1) can read. It will notice the following differences: 1) Characters are present in one font but not in the other. 2) Characters are present in both fonts but have different sets of outlines or references. The outlines may be compared so that only exact matches are accepted, or so that a fuzzier match is used. Similarly references may need to match exactly, or may be matched after an unlink. This fuzzy comparison is useful when comparing truetype and postscript fonts, or when comparing a font with references to one with- out. 3) The postscript hints or truetype instructions are different. 4) The font names (the truetype `name' table) differ. 5) The kerning (and other `gpos' information) differs. 6) The ligatures (and other `gsub' information) differ. 7) Any bitmap strikes present in one font but not in the other. 8) Any bitmap characters present in one strike of one font but in the equivalent strike of the other. 9) Any bitmap characters which differ. OPTIONS
--help Provide a description with a list of the available options. --ignorehints Suppress the reporting of hint/instruction differences. --ignoregpos Suppress the reporting of kerning (and other `gpos') differences. --ignoregsub Suppress the reporting of ligature (and other `gsub') differences. --ignorenames Suppress the reporting of name string differences. --ignorebitmaps Suppress the reporting of bitmap differences. --exact Require outlines to match exactly. --warn Warn if the outlines/references are slightly different. --merge outfile Store a merged version of the two fonts into the specified output file. The merged data will be based on sfdfile1, as well as any characters present in sfdfile2 but not in sfdfile1 will be added, and the outlines of sfdfile2 will be placed in the background. Finally, for any characters with different outlines or references the background of the the character will contain the outlines from sfdfile2 (references will be unlinked into outlines and those outlines also will be added). --usage Display the usage description. --version Display the current version. SEE ALSO
fontforge(1) The HTML version of the fontforge manual at: http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/ AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 by George Williams (gww@silcom.com). Manual page heavily rewritten and modified to use standard -man(5) macros by R.P.C. Rodgers (rodgers@nlm.nih.gov), 23 October 2002. 8 April 2006 SFDDIFF(1)