Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dont have a clue which program to use to process flying bat data Post 302499536 by cmp260 on Thursday 24th of February 2011 02:54:12 PM
Old 02-24-2011
totals explained

it might help at this stage to confuse the issue more and explain how it is planned to get daily total counts:
these bat species do a weird thing called "light sampling" where they go in and out multiple times until the conditons are right and finally leave to forage for the night. Obv, this causes a total screw up if you just simply count the total number exiting - you end up with an order of magnitude more bats than actually exist in the roost. To eliminate this as best as possible we need to total the ins and outs until a peak number is arrived at as follows:
If we set A or "out" = plus one and B or "in" = minus one
thus:
Code:
dinrection total
out +1   1
out +1   2
out +1   3
out +1   4
in -1    3
in -1    2
out +1   3

etc. this way at some point in each evening there is a maximum in the total column which will Smiliemore or less equate to the total number in the roost

---------- Post updated at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:47 PM ----------

Hi Corona, not research, monitoring the poplulations since they are protected species.Smilie
Greater and Lesser horseshoe bats.

Last edited by Scott; 02-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

IO by Process/program

HI there, I'm trying to find a way of showing the IO's performed by individual programs. Number of reads/writes IO time that kind of thing. Anybody know of any way to show this information. Free little downloads that kind of thing? Cheers Phil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpiuk
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

get program name give a process id

Hi , I have query regarding to get a program name given a pid in HP-Ux . give procees id ( PID) i would like to retrieve the process/program through a C program ? my input to c program will be will be pid and i would like to know what is process name /program name . Many Thanks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
1 Replies

3. Programming

Getting process info in a program

Hi, I am wondering if there is a way to find out in a C software program if a particular process is running without having to write a file. In the past, I have been using the system command to execute a pgrep and output the info to a file. Then the C program reads the file to make the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herbmiller
1 Replies

4. Programming

How to start a process in linux using C program??

I have a set of attributes such as group id,group name,etc related to a linux process. Iwant to know how to start a process in linux using C program.Plz do help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

5. Programming

Process creation in Unix with C Program

Hi, can somebody please help me regarding this? How can i print parent's PID from child's and vice versa. I have tried with getpid() & ngetppid() function but it is not giving me the correct data. The logic i used is: if (pid == 0) { getpid() : Chil'd PID getppid():... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsudipta
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

defunct process occuring in a particular program

All, I am getting a wired scenario, Not all times but some times i am getting the defunct process for a program. If i rerun the same program it is working fine.This defunct scenario is not occuring often. And this is happening only for the one program in my system that to sometimes Can you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

dont have a clue again- flying bat data new logger

hi, this is related to this thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/154822-dont-have-clue-program-use-process-flying-bat-data.html using another type of logger (ipcas ipether232) which produces csv data but not seperated into differnt folders. I need to work out how to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmp260
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get parent process program name?

Hi: I have 2 script on AIX server. The child script is called by parent script. For example: The parent script full name is /home/op/def/parent.spt, which calls /home/op/abc/child.spt I want to get the parent program name with full path name (i.e. /home/op/def/parent.spt), in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstsang
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I dont want to exit the program by ctrl + c

Hey , guys I am new to shell programing ,, so need a help from you guys ... I have to write a shell script that accepts file name or directory name from the user if it is a directory then throw an error if it is a file then give the user two options . 1.overwrite the content 2.append the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolashu
2 Replies
HISTO(1)						      General Commands Manual							  HISTO(1)

NAME
histo - compute 1-dimensional histogram of N data columns SYNOPSIS
histo [-c][-p] xmin xmax nbins histo [-c][-p] imin imax DESCRIPTION
Histo bins columnular data on the standard input between the given minimum and maximum values. If three command line arguments are given, the third is taken as the number of data bins between the first two real numbers. If only two arguments are given, they are both assumed to be integers, and the number of data bins will be equal to their difference plus one. The bins are always of equal size. The output is N+1 columns of data (for N columns input), where the first column is the centroid of each division, and each row corresponds to the frequencies for each column around that value. If the -c option is present, then histo computes the cumulative histogram for each column instead of the straight frequencies. The upper value of each bin is printed also instead of the centroid. This may be useful in computing percentiles, for example. Values below the minimum specified are still counted in the cumulative total. The -p option tells histo to report the percentage of the total number of input lines rather than the absolute counts. In the case of a cumulative total, this yields the percentile values directly. Values above the maximum are counted as well as values below in this case. All input data is interpreted as real values, and columns must be white-space separated. If any value is less than the minimum or greater than the maximum, it will be ignored unless the -c option is specified. EXAMPLE
To count data values between -1 and 1 in 50 bins: histo -1 1 50 < input.dat To count frequencies of integers between 0 and 255: histo 0 255 < input.dat AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
9/6/96 HISTO(1)