Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat BIND 9.x log answers to queries Post 302499485 by fpmurphy on Thursday 24th of February 2011 12:48:10 PM
Old 02-24-2011
Have a look at the BIND9 configuration logging clause. Try adding the client and resolver categories.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Need Some (help)answers Asap

can someone explain the meaning of the following shell commands: 1. who / wc -l 2. who / sort > user_names 3. cat students > new_students 4. current_day='date / cut -cl-3' i would also appreciated if you could tell me some things about the umask 1. what is a good umask value and why? 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakis
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic script for yes and no answers

What is the basic syntax for a script that says do you want to do this? y - execute this n - end not y or n - end and print this for example if I want to run this: "Do you want to start this process?" answer if y,Y, or yes then run the following script (do I put the script with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
10 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

MySQL Slow Queries Log: Lock_time

In MySQL's slow queries log, it'll have an entry like this: # User@Host: scc_service @ # Query_time: 43 Lock_time: 0 Rows_sent: 0 Rows_examined: 0 SET timestamp=1237769209; UPDATE loan SET funding_status="scheduled",datetime_approved=now() WHERE loan_id = '00000'; What does Lock_time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zefflyn
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question and answers

Hello All, I need to prepare for interview. Can any body help me with interview question and answers pls.. Regards, Sam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Bind 9.x cannot log answers to queries

I know this is a duplicate question but the original has never been answered properly. I've got Bind 9.x set up on my box and the logging turned on. I can see queries being logged but I still can't get it to log the answers to those queries. Here is my named.conf file: # File: /etc/named.conf ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vadim B
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need answers urgently!!

hello guys!! need 1 favour from u all.. Can u jst tell me the answers for these ques?? 1. ls - l _____ : command to return all files that end with single digit and those with TXT extension 2. ls -l report* _______ : command to return all files that start with the word RPT except those with LOG... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gan_7
1 Replies

7. Programming

Always giving the answers as 1

Hi, I have wrote a python program to sum the numbers in a list.However its giving answer one. Please advise. MyList = Number = int(input("Please enter number:")) for i in range(1, Number + 1): value = int(input("Enter Numbers %d:" %i)) MyList.append(value) total =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
3 Replies
resolver(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       resolver(3)

Name
       res_mkquery, res_send, res_init, dn_comp, dn_expand - resolver routines

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <netinet/in.h>
       #include <arpa/nameser.h>
       #include <resolv.h>

res_mkquery(op, dname, class, type, data, datalen, newrr, buf, buflen)
       int op;
       char *dname;
       int class, type;
       char *data;
       int datalen;
       struct rrec *newrr;
       char *buf;
       int buflen;

res_send(msg, msglen, answer, anslen)
       char *msg;
       int msglen;
       char *answer;
       int anslen;

res_init()

dn_comp(exp_dn, comp_dn, length, dnptrs, lastdnptr)
       char *exp_dn, *comp_dn;
       int length;
       char **dnptrs, **lastdnptr;

dn_expand(msg, eomorig, comp_dn, exp_dn, length)
       char *msg, *eomorig, *comp_dn, exp_dn;
       int length;

Description
       The  resolver  routines	are  used  for	making, sending, and interpreting packets to BIND servers.  Global information that is used by the
       resolver routines is kept in the variable Most of the values have reasonable defaults and you need not be concerned with them.  The options
       are a simple bit mask and are or'ed in to enable.  The options stored in are defined in and are as follows:

RES_INIT 	  True if the initial name server address and default domain name are initialized, for example if has been called.

RES_DEBUG	  Print debugging messages.

RES_AAONLY	  Accept authoritative answers only.

RES_USEVC	  Use TCP connections for queries instead of UDP.

RES_STAYOPEN	  This	is  used  with to keep the TCP connection open between queries.  This is useful only in programs that regularly do
			  many queries.  You should normally use UDP.

RES_RECURSE	  Set the recursion desired bit in queries.  This is the default.  The routine does not do iterative queries  and  expects
			  the BIND server to handle recursion.

RES_DEFNAMES	  Append the default domain name to single label queries.  This is the default.

The following lists the routines found in

res_init        This  routine  reads  the  initialization file to get the default domain name and the Internet address of the initial hosts
		       running the name server.  If this line does not exist, the host running the resolver is tried.

res_mkquery     This routine makes a standard query message and places it in buf.  The res_mkquery routine returns the size of the query or
		       -1 if the query is larger than buflen.

op     The opcode is usually but can be any of the query types defined in nameser.h.

Dname  This  variable  is  the  domain  name.   If  dname  consists of a single label and the flag is enabled, which is the
			      default, dname is appended with the current domain name.	The current domain name is defined in a system	file,  but
			      you can override it by using the environment variable

res_send        This  routine  sends  a	query  to the BIND servers and returns an answer.  It calls the routine.  If is not set, sends the
		       query to the local name server, and handle timeouts and retries.  The length of the message is returned or -1 if there were
		       errors.

dn_comp	       This routine compresses the domain name exp_dn and stores it in comp_dn.  The size of the compressed name is returned or -1
		       if there were errors.  The length is the size of the array pointed to by comp_dn.

dnptrs This variable is a list of pointers to previously compressed names in the current message.  The first pointer points
			      to the beginning of the message and the list ends with

lastdnptr
			      This is a pointer to the end of the array pointed to by dnptrs.  A side effect is to update the list of pointers for
			      labels inserted into the message by dn_comp as the name is compressed.  If dnptr is NULL, the  names  are  not  com-
			      pressed.	If lastdnptr is NULL, the list is not updated.

dn_expand       This routine expands the compressed domain name to a full BIND domain name.  Expanded names are converted to upper case.

msg    This variable is a pointer to the beginning of the message.

exp_dn This  variable  is a pointer to a buffer of size length for the result.  The size of the compressed name is returned
			      or -1 if there was an error.

Files
See Also
       named(8), resolv.conf(5)
       Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service

resolver(3)