Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirect String to STDIN
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect String to STDIN Post 302499483 by Panman82 on Thursday 24th of February 2011 12:46:44 PM
Old 02-24-2011
Redirect String to STDIN

Looking for the proper way to bring a string into the stdin. I have a string that I would like to grep and awk. Each have to be run separately, not piped together. So far, the only way I could figure out how is to echo the string and pipe it:
Code:
echo 'This is my string' | grep my

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stdin not tty when try to pine or redirect

My supervisor keep getting "stdin not tty" or something like that when he pipe or redirect input into a program. Others don't seem to get this message. Is there some way I can help him to fix or turn this off? Thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDIN

can you redirect STDIN with command arguments? I have tried this approach: # ./script -option <argument1> <argument2> 0<$2 # $2: ambiguous redirect Is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

3. Programming

Redirect stdin and out to sockets

For windows was pretty simple to redirect the std in a and out of a child process for "cmd.exe " command prompt terminal to a socket using connected pipes passed to a new process in the STARTUPINFO structure. BOOL b = ::CreatePipe((LPHANDLE)h_stdInRead,(LPHANDLE)hsdtInWriteTmp, &SecAttrib,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gyula
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot redirect to STDIN in a shell script

I am unable to use STDIn redirection with < (commands) When I do the following, both approaches work and give the same results: 1. $ printf "aaa\nbbb\n" > file1 $ printf "111\n222\n" > file2 $ cat file1 file2 aaa bbb 111 2222. $ cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n") aaa... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metaltree
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin/stdout to/from command from/to string

Hi, I am working on a project where I have to generate and execute nasm code on-the-fly. I generate the code in a file program.asm and then execute it.This output is to stdout which i redirect to an output file which i read back to compare results: system("nasm -f elf program.asm >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc_cypher
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace string in file with stdin

Hi Im trying to do the following: grep -H Date: out/* | sed 's/':'/ /' | awk '$4 ~ /^/ {print $1}' | while read VARIABLE; do awk '{print $1,$3,$2}' $VARIABLE | sed (take stdin and replace a string in $VARIABLE) done What this is basically doing is finding all files with Date: in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)