Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File Post 302499237 by yinyuemi on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 07:15:38 PM
Old 02-23-2011
try:
**** first, make a sort on your lookup file based on length of word, largest to smalles, like:
slowly
child
slow
put
the
boy
ran
ly

then run it.
Code:
 awk 'NR==FNR{a[NR]=$1;b[$1]=1;x=NR}
NR>FNR{IGNORECASE=1;{for (j=1;j<=x;j++){for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) if(length($i)>length(a[j]) && !($i in b) && $i~a[j] && $i!=a[j])
{gsub(a[j]," "a[j]" ",$0)}}}}END{$1=toupper(substr($1,1,1))substr($1,2);print}' lookup raw
The boy ran slowly

Last edited by yinyuemi; 02-23-2011 at 08:44 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting words from a string

Hi, I have a string like this in a file, I want to retrive the words separated by comma's in 3 variables. like How do i get that.plz advice (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_kb211
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk splitting words into files problem

Hi, I am trying to split the words having the delimiter as colon ';' in to separate files using awk. Here's my code. echo "f1;f2;f3" | awk '/;/{c=sprintf("%02d",++i); close("out" c)} {print > "out" c}' echo "f1;f2;f3" | awk -v i=0 '/;/{close("out"i); i++; next} {print > "out"i}' But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words With Largest Strings First

hello, I had posted earlier help for a script for splitting concatenated words . The script was supposed to read words from a master file and split concatenated words in the slave/input file. Thanks to the help I got, the following script which works very well was posted. It detects residues by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting concatenated words in input file with words from the same file

Dear all, I am working with names and I have a large file of names in which some words are written together (upto 4 or 5) and their corresponding single forms are also present in the word-list. An example would make this clear annamarie mariechristine johnsmith johnjoseph smith john smith... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping a list of words from one file in a master database of homophones

Hello, I am sorry if the title is confusing, but I need a script to grep a list of Names from a Source file in a Master database in which all the homophonic variants of the name are listed along with a single indexing key and store all of these in an output file. I need this because I am testing... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk gensub, match capital words and lowercase words

Hi I have strings like these : Vengeance mitt Men Vengeance gloves Women Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Girls Thermobite hooded jacket Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket Boys Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket and I would like to get the lower case words at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the words in the file to the words that user type?

Hello, I would like to change my setting in a file to the setting that user input. For example, by default it is ONBOOT=ON When user key in "YES", it would be ONBOOT=YES -------------- This code only adds in the entire user input, but didn't replace it. How do i go about... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)