Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pine continuously marks old messages as unread Post 302499195 by veepine on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 03:20:59 PM
Old 02-23-2011
Data Pine continuously marks old messages as unread

Hi,
I have been having problem with pine for the past few weeks. I use email clinet Thunderbird to view my emails. Every time I open the thunderbird, all my emails were marked as unread. So, I logged into our email server to see what's wrong. even when I opened pine, all messages are labeled as unread. I did ;a a * and unchecked New. It marks all the messages as read. But when I close pine and open it, again all messages are remained as new. I don't know what is happening. Please help me with this problem.

Because of this problem, I am unable to distinguish between read and new messages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pine UNIX email -- old messages labeled "New"

Hi, I have a question I know I've seen answered somewhere before, but my last hour of searching has turned up nothing (so forgive me for re-asking!). I'm using Pine on UNIX to check mail at a couple remote POP3 servers, and old messages in the remote inboxes are mistakenly labeled "N", new,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sean_oconnor
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question Marks in ed

I typed the following commands: 176 lab2-37:~> ed newb.txt 74 1,6p Hello Hello World. I need some sentences to edit. add the script OK Fn 2,4c . 1,3p Hello add the script OK Fn q ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mark messages as unread

Hi Does anyone know how to mark messages as unread either in Pine or from a Terminal or some such ? Thanks, James (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rylann
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find pine messages

still touching on the basics here: first of all where are my received messages stored in pine? /var/spool/mymail is not it. i guess i cant start my script without knowing this. because i need to move those files into a seperate folder and so on and so forth. I can prolly do a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

problems in pine -- can't download messages from gmail

I'm learning a little about pine after downloading it (pine 4.64). I can't seem to get it to work, though. It can't open the inbox -- it sits there (as the little slash mark rotates) but after a while it stops and can't make the connection, with a message saying that "connection to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl (conky) and gmail/IMAP unread message count

Hi all, I use Conky monitor (Conky - Home) for my laptop and I needed a script to see the count of new messages on gmail/IMAP, then I made this small perl script (I hope they can be useful to someone :)) gimap.pl #!/usr/bin/perl # gimap.pl by gxmsgx # description: get the count of unread... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gxmsgx
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see unread e-mails only in Alpine?

Does anyone have any idea how to see only unread (new) e-mails in the Alpine client when using IMAP? I finally have a fast IMAP client, but don't want to go over all the e-mails I've already read through other clients... Thanks in advance for any hints. ---------- Post updated at 01:21 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesR404
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pine email tool suppress prompt to save read messages

Could somebody please advise about how to configure pine/alpine so that on exit it doesn't prompt me to save read messages? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Find Unread Files

Hi I have requirement to read only unread files from the directory and load into database. Scenario: I do receive bunch of files into my unix directory for every 15 mins. My ETL Process every once in a day and reads the files and loads into db table. I cannot move these file into different... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
9 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Script for pinging continuously

Hi, I need to set up a script that would write the results of the ping command from one AIX server to another file may be every minute. Like this I need to gather the data for a period of 24 hours. Can someone please help me with this? G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
5 Replies
NNCHECK(1)						      General Commands Manual							NNCHECK(1)

NAME
nncheck - check for unread articles SYNOPSIS
nncheck [ -Q -r -t ] [ -f format ] DESCRIPTION
nncheck will report if there are some articles on the system which you have not read. Without options, nncheck will simply print a message reporting the number of unread articles with the following format: There are 327 unread articles in 25 groups and when there are no unread articles, the following message will be printed: No News (is good news) nncheck will exit with a value of 0 if there are unread articles, and 99 if there is no news (see the exception for the -r option.) It is important to notice that even though unread articles have been reported by nncheck, the actual number of unread articles may be much lower (or even zero) when nn is invoked to read the articles. This is because the calculation of the number of unread articles is only based on recorded article number intervals. Invoking nn to read the articles may reveal that the articles have previously been read in another news group, have been expired, or are killed using the auto-kill facility. The following options are used to modify the amount and format of the output from nncheck: -Q Quiet operation. No output is produced, only the exit status indicate whether there is unread news. -t Print the name of each group with unread articles, and how many unread articles there are (not counting split digests!). -r Output a single integer value specifying the number of unread articles, and exit with a 0 status (somebody told me this would be useful). -f format Output the number of unread articles using the specified format. The format is a text that may contain the following %-escapes: %-code resulting output %u "uuu unread articles" %g "ggg groups" %i "is" if 1 unread article, else "are" %U "uuu" %G "ggg" where uuu is the number of unread articles, and ggg is the number of groups with unread articles. For example, the default output format is "There %i %u in %g" which I prefer to the following less perfect format: "There are %U unread article(s) in %G group(s)" FILES
~/.newsrc The record of read articles $db/MASTER The database master index SEE ALSO
nn(1), nngoback(1), nngrab(1), nngrep(1), nnpost(1), nntidy(1) nnadmin(1M), nnusage(1M), nnmaster(1M) AUTHOR
Kim F. Storm, Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark E-mail: storm@texas.dk 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 6.6 NNCHECK(1)