Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin Post 302499152 by zaxxon on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 10:50:30 AM
Old 02-23-2011
About 10 years ago I was in a similar situation and age like you are, had 95% only worked with Windows servers and clients and had just made my MCSE. I switched my job to a AIX and Linux environment and dropped all that Windows experience at once and did not regret it at all.
I already liked to work typing in commands etc. in my little contact with Unix and Linux, instead of clicking around predefined options in some menues that just change names and places in new versions Smilie, waiting for patches to fix Blue Screens etc., rendering you somehow helpless (way back then).

Additionally to Corona's info, you might have a look at this:
The Linux System Administrator's Guide
and
About Debian Linux

In the second link there are some thingies on the left side which you could use as small projects.

Having a new job where your boss knows that your are somewhat new to the OS, letting you have some time to get familiar with it and some nice coworkers that are willing to show you things would be a good environment to get good skills. Having less of this and much preasure on you can work well to get you good skills, but you'll have a lot more stress and will often have to learn things the hard way.
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Admin over the web

Can some one axplain how I can administer my sco bix over the web. It is connected to a wan and the internet acces is at another location and we do have a harware software firewall. F,Ruiz. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ruizf
1 Replies

2. Advertise with Us

Windows to Unix Admin

Hi, I'm looking a bit of advice on a job offer I've been made. I'm currently a Microsoft Windows Administrator, with good experience in this and also in Novell. I've just been offered a job to re-train as a UNIX Administrator. I'm not sure whether to take it or not. It's more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris admin

Hey Friends, Actullay we have to create 200 users in my server as early as possible . I m not that much aware abt script writing. thier is any alternative ways for creation of users ? Thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
4 Replies

4. Solaris

I need some help from a Solaris admin

OK I have a Solaris 10 Sparc running on a SUN T3-1 and the scsi driver is missing for the drive the root is on so it won't boot. I need to know if the following procedure is what I need to do to add the driver to get the system back up and running? {0} ok boot -F failsafe # mount... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinityforce
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.12.1 2008-04-04 URI::URL(3)