Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin Post 302499125 by bobwilson on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 09:33:55 AM
Old 02-23-2011
Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job offers no exposure to *nix. I guess my questions would be, what would be some small projects to work on at home (admin type, scripting, etc - I'm not really a programmer though) that would be similar to in a corporate environment (other than setting up a wordpress site, lamp environment, etc which is what other people have told me to do), and once I feel comfortable looking, what kind of a job would I look for? I'm in my mid 20's, have about 4 years of windows admin experience and 0 "real world" *nix measurable experience - would I just be looking for an intro *nix helpdesk/junior *nix role? Or should I be looking for a mixed Windows/*nix environment so I'm not restarting my career from scratch?

I figure there's a few people who have made a similar switch here. And I know there are similar forums, but there's always some new people willing to comment with ideas that haven't been posted before :-)

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Admin over the web

Can some one axplain how I can administer my sco bix over the web. It is connected to a wan and the internet acces is at another location and we do have a harware software firewall. F,Ruiz. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ruizf
1 Replies

2. Advertise with Us

Windows to Unix Admin

Hi, I'm looking a bit of advice on a job offer I've been made. I'm currently a Microsoft Windows Administrator, with good experience in this and also in Novell. I've just been offered a job to re-train as a UNIX Administrator. I'm not sure whether to take it or not. It's more... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris admin

Hey Friends, Actullay we have to create 200 users in my server as early as possible . I m not that much aware abt script writing. thier is any alternative ways for creation of users ? Thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
4 Replies

4. Solaris

I need some help from a Solaris admin

OK I have a Solaris 10 Sparc running on a SUN T3-1 and the scsi driver is missing for the drive the root is on so it won't boot. I need to know if the following procedure is what I need to do to add the driver to get the system back up and running? {0} ok boot -F failsafe # mount... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinityforce
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
Module::Install::Admin(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Module::Install::Admin(3)

NAME
Module::Install::Admin - Author-side manager for Module::Install SYNOPSIS
In a Module::Install extension module: sub extension_method { my $self = shift; $self->admin->some_method(@args); } As an one-liner: % perl "-MModule::Install::Admin" -e'&some_method(@args);' The two snippets above are really shorthands for $some_obj->some_method(@args) where $some_obj is the singleton object of a class under the "Module::Install::Admin::*" namespace that provides the method "some_method". See "METHODS" for a list of built-in methods. DESCRIPTION
This module implements the internal mechanism for initializing, including and managing extensions, and should only be of interest to extension developers; it is never included under a distribution's inc/ directory, nor are any of the Module::Install::Admin::* extensions. For normal usage of Module::Install, please see Module::Install and "COOKBOOK / EXAMPLES" in Module::Install instead. Bootstrapping When someone runs a Makefile.PL that has "use inc::Module::Install", and there is no inc/ in the current directory, Module::Install will load this module bootstrap itself, through the steps below: o First, Module/Install.pm is POD-stripped and copied from @INC to inc/. This should only happen on the author's side, never on the end- user side. o Reload inc/Module/Install.pm if the current file is somewhere else. This ensures that the included version of inc/Module/Install.pm is always preferred over the installed version. o Look at inc/Module/Install/*.pm and load all of them. o Set up a "main::AUTOLOAD" function to delegate missing function calls to "Module::Install::Admin::load" -- again, this should only happen at the author's side. o Provide a "Module::Install::purge_self" function for removing included files under inc/. METHODS
SEE ALSO
Module::Install AUTHORS
Audrey Tang <autrijus@autrijus.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003, 2004 by Audrey Tang <autrijus@autrijus.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.16.3 2012-03-01 Module::Install::Admin(3)