Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fdisk v/s parted
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Fdisk v/s parted Post 302499063 by zaxxon on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 06:56:42 AM
Old 02-23-2011
I don't know of a general vilification of fdisk.

Generally:
Code:
if [[ $tool = "reliable" && $tool = "sufficient" && $tool != "overly complex to use" ]]; then
     use $tool
else
     search_other_tool
fi

exit 0

Maybe ask your coworker about details, what he thinks it is fuzzy with it and decide yourself.
I like to use cfdisk - what now?! Smilie

my 2cents

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(c)fdisk and RedHat 7.2

I recently installed RedHat 7.2, and cannot find any tools to partition the disks other than during the install. I did a find from / for fdisk and cfdisk, neither turned up. I looked in the RPM directories on the CD's, again no good. What rpm contains a partition management tool? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using fdisk in scripts

Hi ! I need to create large amount of portions for database in Linux. Untill now I've used fdisk for manual creation of chunks and changing thei? file system type. Now I want to write script for create them automatically. I think I'm not the first who deal with that problem! Thank you for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Frank_a
1 Replies

3. Solaris

using fdisk

how do i know my disk partion using fdisk (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

FDISK problems

OS= Fedora 10 I have a secondary 250GB disk of which I created a 50G partition on to try and set-up an LFS system. I finished with the LFS system and now I want to destroy the partition and reclaim all of the 250GB. So i simply ran fdisk /dev/sdb and deleted the 2 Linux partitions ( one 83 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HEREDOC with fdisk

Hi folks What I'm trying is to build a partitioning script. I can pass a HEREDOC to fdisk just fine. Like this: fdisk /dev/sda << EOF p q EOF but I don't know how to put that HEREDOC into a varible to pass it to fdisk. This is what I have tried so far (no luck) #!/bin/bash ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: latenite
3 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition management: lvm? fdisk? parted? (on RAID)

Hello, I have a RHEL system with two 500GB hard drives in RAID 1 (I think hardware, but not 100% certain - any way to tell?). It looks like it was just set up in default configuration with a small boot partition and one huge partition for the rest, which composes a LVM volume. I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: builder88
1 Replies

7. Solaris

fdisk

Hi All, fdisk -l in linux equals in fdisk option in Solaris Thanks.......... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvkarthykeyan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Analyse this fdisk -l

Hi, Someone please analyse the following o/p of fdisk -l and tell me what it means for /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc .... Disk /dev/sda: 53.6 GB, 53687091200 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 6527 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
5 Replies

9. BSD

OpenBSD fdisk - Linux fdisk compatibility ?

Hello, MBR partition table made by linux fdisk looks certainly not correct when printed by openbsd fdisk: Partition table created on linux (centos 6.3): # fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Recover vg and lg after running fdisk

run fdisk on a vg with a few lvs , and label it as 8e..and reboot the system.. I wonder if there is still a way to recover the data at all:confused::rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies
GIT-MERGETOOL(1)						    Git Manual							  GIT-MERGETOOL(1)

NAME
git-mergetool - Run merge conflict resolution tools to resolve merge conflicts SYNOPSIS
git mergetool [--tool=<tool>] [-y | --[no-]prompt] [<file>...] DESCRIPTION
Use git mergetool to run one of several merge utilities to resolve merge conflicts. It is typically run after git merge. If one or more <file> parameters are given, the merge tool program will be run to resolve differences on each file (skipping those without conflicts). Specifying a directory will include all unresolved files in that path. If no <file> names are specified, git mergetool will run the merge tool program on every file with merge conflicts. OPTIONS
-t <tool>, --tool=<tool> Use the merge resolution program specified by <tool>. Valid values include emerge, gvimdiff, kdiff3, meld, vimdiff, and tortoisemerge. Run git mergetool --tool-help for the list of valid <tool> settings. If a merge resolution program is not specified, git mergetool will use the configuration variable merge.tool. If the configuration variable merge.tool is not set, git mergetool will pick a suitable default. You can explicitly provide a full path to the tool by setting the configuration variable mergetool.<tool>.path. For example, you can configure the absolute path to kdiff3 by setting mergetool.kdiff3.path. Otherwise, git mergetool assumes the tool is available in PATH. Instead of running one of the known merge tool programs, git mergetool can be customized to run an alternative program by specifying the command line to invoke in a configuration variable mergetool.<tool>.cmd. When git mergetool is invoked with this tool (either through the -t or --tool option or the merge.tool configuration variable) the configured command line will be invoked with $BASE set to the name of a temporary file containing the common base for the merge, if available; $LOCAL set to the name of a temporary file containing the contents of the file on the current branch; $REMOTE set to the name of a temporary file containing the contents of the file to be merged, and $MERGED set to the name of the file to which the merge tool should write the result of the merge resolution. If the custom merge tool correctly indicates the success of a merge resolution with its exit code, then the configuration variable mergetool.<tool>.trustExitCode can be set to true. Otherwise, git mergetool will prompt the user to indicate the success of the resolution after the custom tool has exited. --tool-help Print a list of merge tools that may be used with --tool. -y, --no-prompt Don't prompt before each invocation of the merge resolution program. --prompt Prompt before each invocation of the merge resolution program. This is the default behaviour; the option is provided to override any configuration settings. TEMPORARY FILES
git mergetool creates *.orig backup files while resolving merges. These are safe to remove once a file has been merged and its git mergetool session has completed. Setting the mergetool.keepBackup configuration variable to false causes git mergetool to automatically remove the backup as files are successfully merged. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-MERGETOOL(1)