Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print arguments with the help of variable Post 302499020 by apmcd47 on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 05:07:50 AM
Old 02-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakermania
What about getting all the arguments after e.g. the third?
Write a test script and see:
Code:
$ cat args
#!/usr/bin/env bash
echo ${#}
echo All: "$@"
echo 3 to 5: ${@:3:3}
echo 2 to $#: ${@:2}
$ bash args a b c d e f g
All: a b c d e f g
3 to 5: c d e
2 to 7: b c d e f g
$ bash args a b c d e f g h i j
All: a b c d e f g h i j
3 to 5: c d e
2 to 10: b c d e f g h i j

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print arguments along with spaces using awk

Hi All, file_1.txt contains aaa bbbb hhhh vvvvv mmmmm iiiii What i want is to search for the first coloumn of each line using awk.i.e as below: awk '/aaa/ {printf(<>)}' file_1.txt The print part (<>) should contain all the values(or coloumns ) in the particular line(here it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call arguments with variable in a script??

Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to call arguments passed to a script using a variable. For example: sh script.sh yes no good bad x=$# while do echo (last argument, then second last etc until first argument) let x=($x-1) done should print out bad good no (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VanK
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make bash wrapper for java/groovy program with variable length arguments lists?

The following bash script does not work because the java/groovy code always thinks there are four arguments even if there are only 1 or 2. As you can see from my hideous backslashes, I am using cygwin bash on windows. export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print arguments in reverse order?

Hey all, How do I make a script print its arguments in reverse order? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to print dynamic arguments in for loop

Hi All, I want to pass few dynamic arguments to shell script. The number of arguments differ each time I call the script. I want to print the arguments using the for loop as below. But not working out. for (( i=1; i<=$#; i++ )) do echo $"($i)" done /bin/sh test.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laalesh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print arguments using array elements not working?

Hey guys, I'm new to shell scripting and I'm trying to write a script that takes user input and copies the specified columns from a data file to a new one. In order to account for the possibility of a variable number of columns to copy I wrote a loop that encodes the user's choices in an array... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaner
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print arguments inside a function

I am using echo in bash. Have created a function prargv which takes a number of arguments. Example: prargv "-e" "--examples" Inside prargv, I want to print all the arguments using echo echo "$@" This returns --examples rather than -e --examples" This problem can be fixed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arguments in variable vs direct string

Hello Community! Let's say that we have some script which counts its arguments number: arguments_count.sh: #!/bin/sh echo "Number of arguments="$#and some test script: test.sh: #!/bin/sh my_args="1 2 3 '4 5' 6" echo "Count of arguments when using my_args:" ./arguments_count.sh $my_args... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: break_da_funk
12 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)