Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find the length of each line in the file Post 302498716 by Suryaaravindh on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 09:13:47 AM
Old 02-22-2011
Hi Scrutinizer,

Thanks a lot for your reply..the code works absolutely fineSmilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fixing line length in a file

I have a file containing many lines all with varying lengths. I need each line in the file to be 100 characters in width but I can not find a way of doing this. I want to append to each line spaces to bring the width of the line to 100 but I need a generic way to work out how many spaces I need. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbessell
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need find a file based length

Can some please help me? Want to find files over 35 characters in length? I am running HPUX. Would it be possible with find? Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: J_ang
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the length of the longest line

Dear All, To find the length of the longest line from a file i have used wc -L which is giving the proper output... But the problem is AIX os does not support wc -L command. so is there any other way 2 to find out the length of the longest line using awk or sed ? Regards, Pankaj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the length of file names in a directory?

Hi, how can find length of file names in a directory. Examp: I have a directory with name "d1". directory: d1 files: aaa.log bbb.log abcd.log abcdef.log I wold like out put like: file name legnth aaa.log 3 bbb.log 3 abcd.log 4 abcdef.log 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Find Length of a Field in XML File

Hi I have a xml file with below data...have to find the length of the filedvalues... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-15" standalone="no"?><abc xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/XMLSchem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naughty21
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

separate file by line length

hi all, i'm new in unix.... i have question, sorry if it's missplace or too silly let say i have a file name testfile.log that contains data 000001 000002 000003 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccccccccccccc dddddddddddddddddd 000004 i want to make new file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venven
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line

Hi, I have a issue, I need to loop through a comma delimited file and check for the length which exceeds specified length , if Yes truncate the string. But my problem is , I do not have to check for all the fields and the field lenght is not same for all the fields. For ex: Say my line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the length of MP4 file in cygwin?

Hi, Apologies if I'm posting in wrong section. How can I find length (duration) of MP4 videos and m4a audio files on cygwin? I heard about mediainfo, ffmpeg, avconv utilities on Linux platform but not sure if they work (or available) on cygwin. Please advise, TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
1 Replies
MooseX::Types::Common::String(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			MooseX::Types::Common::String(3pm)

NAME
MooseX::Types::Common::String - Commonly used string types SYNOPSIS
use MooseX::Types::Common::String qw/SimpleStr/; has short_str => (is => 'rw', isa => SimpleStr); ... #this will fail $object->short_str("string with breaks"); DESCRIPTION
A set of commonly-used string type constraints that do not ship with Moose by default. o SimpleStr A Str with no new-line characters. o NonEmptySimpleStr A Str with no new-line characters and length > 0 o LowerCaseSimpleStr A Str with no new-line characters, length > 0 and no uppercase characters A coercion exists via "lc" from NonEmptySimpleStr o UpperCaseSimpleStr A Str with no new-line characters, length > 0 and no lowercase characters A coercion exists via "uc" from NonEmptySimpleStr o Password o StrongPassword o NonEmptyStr A Str with length > 0 o LowerCaseStr A Str with length > 0 and no uppercase characters. A coercion exists via "lc" from NonEmptyStr o UpperCaseStr A Str with length > 0 and no lowercase characters. A coercion exists via "uc" from NonEmptyStr o NumericCode A Str with no new-line characters that consists of only Numeric characters. Examples include, Social Security Numbers, PINs, Postal Codes, HTTP Status Codes, etc. Supports attempting to coerce from a string that has punctuation in it ( e.g credit card number 4111-1111-1111-1111 ). SEE ALSO
o MooseX::Types::Common::Numeric AUTHORS
Please see:: MooseX::Types::Common perl v5.14.2 2012-06-14 MooseX::Types::Common::String(3pm)