Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Protection and Security
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Protection and Security Post 302498457 by imjustjong on Monday 21st of February 2011 11:14:51 AM
Old 02-21-2011
File Protection and Security

Since I'm just new in unix, can I ask the experts on how I can develop or enhance a unix utility in protecting or securing a file using scripts.

Im thinking chmod, is it enought? or are there other utilities in unix?

My algorithm is like there will be a menu that shows a list of types of protection that the user wants to put in his/her file. and also to unprotect files. *I need more ideas.

sample

1 Protect
2 Unprotect
3 etc that you can add
4 etc that you can add
5. maybe exit here.

then input will be

"filename" "choice"

Thanks in advance Smilie

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Linux

file security/protection

Hi All I am working on a site to help newbie to learn linux for free. demo.freelinuxconsole.info there is only one file index.php its been able to rename or deleted. Kindly let me know what permissions should i give to secure this file from editing or deleting by others. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithjack
8 Replies
IXPC(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IXPC(1)

NAME
ixpc - ixp client SYNOPSIS
ixpc [-a address] action file ixpc -v DESCRIPTION
Overview ixpc is a client to access a 9P file server from the command line or from shell scripts. It can be used to configure wmii(1). Options -a address Lets you specify the address to which ixpc will establish a connection. If this option is not supplied, and the environment variable IXP_ADDRESS is set, ixpc will use this value as its address. Currently, the address can only be a unix socket file or a tcp socket. The syntax for address is taken (along with many other profound ideas) from the Plan 9 operating system and has the form unix!/path/to/socket for unix socket files, and tcp!hostname!port for tcp sockets. -v Prints version information to stdout, then exits. The syntax of the actions is as follows: write Writes the supplied data from the standard input to file, overwriting any previous data. The data to be written is arbitrary and only gains meaning (and restrictions) when it is interpreted by wmiiwm(1). See EXAMPLES below. xwrite The same as write, but the data is taken from subsequent arguments, rather than the standard input. create Creates file or directory. If the file exists, nothing is done. ls Lists files and directories. read Reads file or directory contents. remove Removes file or directory tree. ENVIRONMENT
IXP_ADDRESS See above. EXAMPLES
ixpc ls / This prints the root directory of the wmii filesystem, if IXP_ADDRESS is set to the address of wmii. For more information about the contents of this filesystem, see wmiiwm(1). ixpc xwrite /ctl quit Write 'quit' to the main control file of the wmii filesystem, effectively leaving wmii. ixpc write /keys < keys.txt Replace the contents of /keys with the contents of keys.txt SEE ALSO
wmii(1) http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/man/5/INDEX.html ixpc-VERSION IXPC(1)