Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut or remove command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cut or remove command Post 302498363 by arunmanas on Monday 21st of February 2011 06:47:00 AM
Old 02-21-2011
cut or remove command

hi,

I want to remove first word in all files where first and second word is seperated by comma.

example: a file contains Apple,mango.

i need only mango shoule be there in the file???

Apple, should be removed!!!!!

can anyone help me out???

thanks in advance,
Arun ManasSmilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using cut command

I am new to unix ... I have a file with name unixile.123761 I need to cut the extension from this file name? can u help me for this i have tried like follows copied the file lo one variable v and then `echo $v | grep cut -d = -f 1` (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shika123
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to cut

hello , i am grepping for a variable which looks like this... washome=/home/etc/config/was how can i cut the the above like which removes washome= so that i will get /home/etc/config/was Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendramv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV with commas in field values, remove duplicates, cut columns

Hi Description of input file I have: ------------------------- 1) CSV with double quotes for string fields. 2) Some string fields have Comma as part of field value. 3) Have Duplicate lines 4) Have 200 columns/fields 5) File size is more than 10GB Description of output file I need:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text from a file and remove

Hello Friends, I am stuck with the below problem.Any help will be appreciated. I have a file which has say 100 lines. On the second last line I have a line from which i want to remove certain characters.. e.g CAST(CAST( A as varchar(50)) || ',' || CAST(CAST( B as varchar(50)) || ',' ||... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut command doesn't remove (^C) character from only first line

I have a file which has first 2 junk characters(X^C) at beginning of each line in file. When i run cut -c 2- filename it removes junk characters from all lines except on first line it keeps one junk character control C(^C). Not sure why it is not removing only from first line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: later_troy
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
drv(1)                                                              Apple Inc.                                                              drv(1)

NAME
drv - cups driver interface for ppd compiler files SYNOPSIS
drv list drv cat drv:///filename.drv/pcfilename DESCRIPTION
drv lists and compiles PPDC source files installed in the /usr/share/cups/drv and (on Mac OS X) /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources directories on behalf of the scheduler, cupsd(8). The first form of the command lists all of the PPD files that can be produced by the driver information files in the two directories. The second form of the command compiles the requested PPD and sends it to the standard output. SEE ALSO
ppdc(1), ppdhtml(1), ppdi(1), ppdmerge(1), ppdpo(1), ppdcfile(5) http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2008-2009 by Apple Inc. 9 March 2009 CUPS drv(1)