Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris My /etc/mnttab file is showing ro permission for /usr Post 302498355 by navjotmannan on Monday 21st of February 2011 06:03:46 AM
Old 02-21-2011
My /etc/mnttab file is showing ro permission for /usr

Hi All,

My current /usr utilization is 100%.As i don't have another harddisk i decided to delete some unnecessary files under /usr.But,while deleteing it is giving error "it is a readonly filesystem".I checked /etc/mnttab file it is showing the following entry

Code:
/dev/lofi/1     /usr    hsfs   ro,noglobal,maplcase,rr,traildot,dev=2400001    1298120730

As far as i understand it is mounted as "readonly" .

As far as i know i cannot modify /etc/mnttab file.Please suggest what changes i should do i am able to delete files under /usr or entry becomes "rw".

Urgent help would be appreciable.

Regards

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 02-27-2011 at 06:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/uucp): permission denied

I keep getting the following errors and I don't know where to look to resolve the problem. Any ideas? bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/uucp): permission denied bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/root): permission denied bellmail: lockf(/usr/spool/mail/daemon): no such file or directory.... AIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

bdf , /etc/fstab , /etc/mnttab

Hi all, Would like to know if it is possible to rearrange the order that mounts are displayed when the 'bdf' command is issued. An example of what I mean is, currently I see the following ... $ bdf -l Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 524288 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
6 Replies

3. Solaris

/usr/bin has been changed with 777 permission

Hello Guruz, Relay bad condition :mad: Some has changed the permission to 777 recursively for /usr/bin directory by mistake. Now all the permission looks to be 777 on /usr/bin Hence I am so many system related errors as 1 show below. When I am trying to change the password, I am getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

I accidentally changed to only write permission on /usr/bin... please Help!

I accidentally changed to sudo chmod a=w to my /usr/bin folder on my macbook with OS 10.5.8... Please help! I can't even get into a terminal correctly cause it displays: -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scaryMac23
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/vfstab vs /etc/mnttab

what is the difference between the /etc/vfstab and /etc/mnttab? when i check both files, the content is almost the same. can you enlighten me? what i know is /etc/vfstab is used for hard mounts. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrist
4 Replies

7. Linux

Showing "permission denied" when trying to login in - Montavista Linux

Hello friends, I have scratched my system and after that when I am trying to access the console via root login it's failing with an error message of "permission denied". I am able to access the other login, I am having only problem with root and some other user login. I am using an telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Showing "permission denied" when trying to login in - Montavista Linux

Hello friends, I have scratched my system and after that when I am trying to access the console via root login it's failing with an error message of "permission denied". I am able to access the other login, I am having only problem with root and some other user login. I am using an telnet... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/mnttab empty UNIXware 7.1.3

Hi Guys New to this forum so apologies if posted in wrong place. Got a unixware 7.1.3 system (I know !). df -k produces no output which I believe is because /etc/mnttab is empty. Can /etc/mnttab be re-built ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
2 Replies

10. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies
df(1B)						     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						    df(1B)

NAME
df - display status of disk space on file systems SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/df [-a] [-i] [-t type] [filesystem...] [filename...] DESCRIPTION
The df utility displays the amount of disk space occupied by currently mounted file systems, the amount of used and available space, and how much of the file system's total capacity has been used. If arguments to df are path names, df produces a report on the file system containing the named file. Thus `df .' shows the amount of space on the file system containing the current directory. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Report on all filesystems including the uninteresting ones which have zero total blocks (that is, auto-mounter). -i Report the number of used and free inodes. Print ` * ' if no information is available. -t type Report on filesystems of a given type (for example, nfs or ufs). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using df A sample of output for df looks like: example% df Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on sparky:/ 7445 4714 1986 70% / sparky:/usr 42277 35291 2758 93% /usr Note that used+avail is less than the amount of space in the file system (kbytes); this is because the system reserves a fraction of the space in the file system to allow its file system allocation routines to work well. The amount reserved is typically about 10%; this can be adjusted using tunefs (see tunefs(1M)). When all the space on a file system except for this reserve is in use, only the super-user can allocate new files and data blocks to existing files. When a file system is overallocated in this way, df can report that the file system is more than 100% utilized. FILES
/etc/mnttab List of file systems currently mounted /etc/vfstab List of default parameters for each file system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
du(1), quot(1M), tunefs(1M), mnttab(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 df(1B)