Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“ Post 302498275 by sarbjit on Monday 21st of February 2011 12:23:17 AM
Old 02-21-2011
Finally i found the soln to my problem.

For prob1, i need to use code like
Code:
If ("$argv[1]" == “-debug”) then
  Echo “in loop”
  Endif

i.e. $argv[1] should be enclosed in double quotes.

For problem while using grep command, is to use it like
Code:
grep '\-debug' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with script that gets a filename as argument (with an if/else statement)

Hi, I am trying to create a script just to study BASH scripting, but I have some problems. I need to create a script that gets a filename as an argument. The script should behave as follows: • If the given file name already exists, inform the user and quit. • If the given file name does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using argument in grep

#!/bin/bash export var=$1 export path=/ank/desktop ll -altr | grep $var > tosend.lst Hi above is the script. but it does not run i gives error regarding usage of grep. Thanks ankur (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankurk
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recognizing an argument in csh

I will be passing an argument to a csh script The script can be either of two forms For example, either script.csh zloc=5/10 or script.csh zloc=5/10/20 So there can be either two values or three values. How can I distinguish which one the user has inputted? I have made... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shell script 'set' argument limit?

Hi , I have a script that is causing a problem that led me to think if there is a limit to the number of arguments for 'set' command in csh shell script. Here is my script: #!/bin/csh -f set top = design_top #1 set v_mbist = ( sim_mbist/*.v ) #2 set v_simlist = ( -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep -v with multiple argument

Hi, I want to grep ORA-XXX errors in a file but not ORA-16055: FAL request rejected ORA-16401: archivelog rejected by RFS ORA-16040: ORA-12154 Then I thought of grep -v ORA-16055 ORA-16401 ORA-16040 ORA-12154 myfile that does not work. Any solution ? (other than : grep -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on command line argument in csh

HI , I am new to csh. I need to pass some command line arguments like ./abc.sh -os Linux -path abc -tl aa -PILX 1 I have defined the loop as shown below. But its taking "-os" switches as arguments. Its treating them as arguments. How to resolve it? while ( $#argv != 0 ) switch ($argv) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineet.dhingra
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

10. Programming

Python script to grep fields and use values from file 1 as argument for another command

Hi Experts, I am working one one python script in version 3.x and 2.6. Need your support to complete it Basically for both commands i have telnet to device and run command and then receiving input File 1 and File 2 I have two commands, need to grep data and output in csv file. Next script/code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
0 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)