Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print arguments with the help of variable Post 302498224 by hakermania on Sunday 20th of February 2011 03:43:51 PM
Old 02-20-2011
Hey thanks, this worked....!
Can you explain me please what the number 5 represents here?
I mean if I need to take the arguments from $7 and next, should I do
${@:7:5}
?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print arguments along with spaces using awk

Hi All, file_1.txt contains aaa bbbb hhhh vvvvv mmmmm iiiii What i want is to search for the first coloumn of each line using awk.i.e as below: awk '/aaa/ {printf(<>)}' file_1.txt The print part (<>) should contain all the values(or coloumns ) in the particular line(here it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call arguments with variable in a script??

Hello, I was wondering if it were possible to call arguments passed to a script using a variable. For example: sh script.sh yes no good bad x=$# while do echo (last argument, then second last etc until first argument) let x=($x-1) done should print out bad good no (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VanK
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make bash wrapper for java/groovy program with variable length arguments lists?

The following bash script does not work because the java/groovy code always thinks there are four arguments even if there are only 1 or 2. As you can see from my hideous backslashes, I am using cygwin bash on windows. export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print arguments in reverse order?

Hey all, How do I make a script print its arguments in reverse order? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to print dynamic arguments in for loop

Hi All, I want to pass few dynamic arguments to shell script. The number of arguments differ each time I call the script. I want to print the arguments using the for loop as below. But not working out. for (( i=1; i<=$#; i++ )) do echo $"($i)" done /bin/sh test.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laalesh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print arguments using array elements not working?

Hey guys, I'm new to shell scripting and I'm trying to write a script that takes user input and copies the specified columns from a data file to a new one. In order to account for the possibility of a variable number of columns to copy I wrote a loop that encodes the user's choices in an array... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaner
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print arguments inside a function

I am using echo in bash. Have created a function prargv which takes a number of arguments. Example: prargv "-e" "--examples" Inside prargv, I want to print all the arguments using echo echo "$@" This returns --examples rather than -e --examples" This problem can be fixed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arguments in variable vs direct string

Hello Community! Let's say that we have some script which counts its arguments number: arguments_count.sh: #!/bin/sh echo "Number of arguments="$#and some test script: test.sh: #!/bin/sh my_args="1 2 3 '4 5' 6" echo "Count of arguments when using my_args:" ./arguments_count.sh $my_args... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: break_da_funk
12 Replies
APPLY(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  APPLY(1)

NAME
apply -- apply a command to a set of arguments SYNOPSIS
apply [-a c] [-d] [-#] command argument ... DESCRIPTION
The apply utility runs the named command on each argument argument in turn. Character sequences of the form ``%d'' in command, where 'd' is a digit from 1 to 9, are replaced by the d'th following unused argument. In this case, the largest digit number of arguments are discarded for each execution of command. The options are as follows: -# Normally arguments are taken singly; the optional number -# specifies the number of arguments to be passed to command. If the number is zero, command is run, without arguments, once for each argument. If any sequences of ``%d'' occur in command, the -# option is ignored. -a c The use of the character '%' as a magic character may be changed with the -a option. -d Display the commands that would have been executed, but do not actually execute them. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable affects the execution of apply: SHELL Pathname of shell to use. If this variable is not defined, the Bourne shell is used. EXAMPLES
apply echo a* is similar to ls(1); apply -2 cmp a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3 compares the `a' files to the `b' files; apply -0 who 1 2 3 4 5 runs who(1) 5 times; and apply 'ln %1 /usr/joe' * links all files in the current directory to the directory /usr/joe. FILES
/bin/sh default shell AUTHORS
Rob Pike BUGS
Shell metacharacters in command may have bizarre effects; it is best to enclose complicated commands in single quotes (''). HISTORY
The apply command appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
April 4, 1994 BSD