Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strip one of two Patch references Post 302497909 by dba_frog on Friday 18th of February 2011 11:03:23 AM
Old 02-18-2011
Almost, it's cutting out the 'of' and some lines ref a preview mode before the 'of'.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX References?

Would like to know where or what is available to quickly develope my AIX skills. Training budget limited.. Thanks and have a great day! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lmwical
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compound indirect variable references

Using bash, I'm trying to read a .properties file (name=value pairs), assigning an indirect variable reference for each line in the file. The trick is that a property's value string may contain the name of a property that occurred earlier in the file, and I want the name of the 1st property to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkrussel
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

Patch-o-matic (patch for iptable) for linux2.4.08 & iptable1.2.7a

Hello friends I'm running Redhat 9.0 with linux kernel 2.4.20-8 & have iptables version 1.2.7a & encountering a problem that I narrate down. I need to apply patch to my iptable and netfilter for connection tracking and load balancing that are available in patch-o-matic distribution by netfilter.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

4. Programming

Wanted: References on Sockets and Threads for C

I'm looking at http://www.opengroup.org/pubs/online/7908799/xsh/pthread.h.html trying to understand mutexs and semaphores. Windows makes a distinction between the two. Is a mutex and semaphore different in unix land? Is there a tutorial on threading in unix somewhere? I'm also looking at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl References/Dereferences

Can someone explain where can we actually used print $var->; or print $$var When does the -> becomes necessary and when its optional. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Programming references

Hi all, I am new and I am very interested in Awk programming language and would like to know what references or books that really worked for you that was clear, concise with simple examples. much appreciated in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Apollo
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort references

I have the following entries and want to perform a sort. Each entry is separated by a newline, however each line should not be considired seperate. Maybe an awk program or similar, or a small script. Anderson, E.R., Duvall, T.L., Jr., and Jefferies, S.M., 1990. Modelling of Solar... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies
GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)

NAME
git-update-ref - Update the object name stored in a ref safely SYNOPSIS
git update-ref [-m <reason>] (-d <ref> [<oldvalue>] | [--no-deref] <ref> <newvalue> [<oldvalue>]) DESCRIPTION
Given two arguments, stores the <newvalue> in the <ref>, possibly dereferencing the symbolic refs. E.g. git update-ref HEAD <newvalue> updates the current branch head to the new object. Given three arguments, stores the <newvalue> in the <ref>, possibly dereferencing the symbolic refs, after verifying that the current value of the <ref> matches <oldvalue>. E.g. git update-ref refs/heads/master <newvalue> <oldvalue> updates the master branch head to <newvalue> only if its current value is <oldvalue>. You can specify 40 "0" or an empty string as <oldvalue> to make sure that the ref you are creating does not exist. It also allows a "ref" file to be a symbolic pointer to another ref file by starting with the four-byte header sequence of "ref:". More importantly, it allows the update of a ref file to follow these symbolic pointers, whether they are symlinks or these "regular file symbolic refs". It follows real symlinks only if they start with "refs/": otherwise it will just try to read them and update them as a regular file (i.e. it will allow the filesystem to follow them, but will overwrite such a symlink to somewhere else with a regular filename). If --no-deref is given, <ref> itself is overwritten, rather than the result of following the symbolic pointers. In general, using git update-ref HEAD "$head" should be a lot safer than doing echo "$head" > "$GIT_DIR/HEAD" both from a symlink following standpoint and an error checking standpoint. The "refs/" rule for symlinks means that symlinks that point to "outside" the tree are safe: they'll be followed for reading but not for writing (so we'll never write through a ref symlink to some other tree, if you have copied a whole archive by creating a symlink tree). With -d flag, it deletes the named <ref> after verifying it still contains <oldvalue>. LOGGING UPDATES
If config parameter "core.logAllRefUpdates" is true and the ref is one under "refs/heads/", "refs/remotes/", "refs/notes/", or the symbolic ref HEAD; or the file "$GIT_DIR/logs/<ref>" exists then git update-ref will append a line to the log file "$GIT_DIR/logs/<ref>" (dereferencing all symbolic refs before creating the log name) describing the change in ref value. Log lines are formatted as: 1. oldsha1 SP newsha1 SP committer LF Where "oldsha1" is the 40 character hexadecimal value previously stored in <ref>, "newsha1" is the 40 character hexadecimal value of <newvalue> and "committer" is the committer's name, email address and date in the standard Git committer ident format. Optionally with -m: 1. oldsha1 SP newsha1 SP committer TAB message LF Where all fields are as described above and "message" is the value supplied to the -m option. An update will fail (without changing <ref>) if the current user is unable to create a new log file, append to the existing log file or does not have committer information available. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)