Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting determine the number of spaces Post 302497901 by ppolianidis on Friday 18th of February 2011 10:57:50 AM
Old 02-18-2011
determine the number of spaces

Here is a weird question Smilie

i am trying to create a script written in bash that will create configuration files for nagios. As some of you aware is has to be written in the below format:

Code:
define service{
                   option1           value1
                   option2           value2
                   optionn           valuen
}

what i want to do is print the options along with their values in an organized way. but the length of the option names may differ so i am looking for a way to spesify how many spaces or tabs the script should echo for each line. Is there a way to do this?

example of what i dont want Smilie :

Code:
define service{
                   option1                value1
                   option2           value2
                   optionn                       valuen
}

Last edited by ppolianidis; 02-18-2011 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: spaces are deleted

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

determine number of xterm connected

i more than one hp-ux 11.0 application server. some of these application server has an xterminal attached to them. ncd900 and ncd400. i would like to know how many xterm is connected to an application server. without physically checking each xterm, can i identify how many xterm? thanks alot. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

$A is a number / any other string? How to determine ?

I have a variable (say $A) and while passing it gets either a number or some other string. Now how can test (with if else) whether the variable is just a ne or something else ? Thanks a lot to all in advance C Saha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine Number of Processes Running

I am pretty new to unix, and I have a project to do. Part of the project asks me to determine the number of processes running and assign it to a variable. I know how to every part of the project but determine the number of processes running. How can I get just the number of processes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayne1411
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine number of checklist in zenity dynamically...

Hi, In my Shell Script i am counting the duplicate IPs in LAN,...After counting i have to show in checklist in zenity which one to delete from the LAN........so initially i dont know no. of duplicate IPs in the LAN....Hence i can determine how many check list needed..... Duplicate IPs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to determine the number of NFS threads RUNNING on the system

Hi, Anyone can tell me how to get the number of NFS threads RUNNING on the system for Solaris 10? Someone told me for Solaris 9, the method is "echo "*svc$<svcpool" | adb -k. But, I've tried to google the method for Solaris 10 and did not find the corresponding method, please help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wang.caiqi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

construct a string with X number of spaces

I'd like to create a variable with the value of X number of space( no Perl please), printf seems to work, but , in following example,10 spaces becomes 1 space when assinged to a variable, Why? other solutions are welcome. $printf "=%10s=\n" = = $var=$(printf "=%10s=\n") echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep any number of spaces

which one of the following is the correct expression to ignore line with multiple spaces after any string cat file | grep -v "xyz *$" or cat file | grep -v "xyz*$" do i need "*" to specify the sapce or " *" will do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishma71
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine the frequency of each number within a text file

I'd like to determine the frequency that each number occurs within a text file. I know how to do this for a single number, but not for a set or list of numbers. Here's what I have grep -o 01 file.txt | wc -l Also, it's important that the numbers are two digits instead of 1, meaning that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: it5ju5talx
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I determine the best number to use for the bs (block size) operand of the dd command?

When I create a bootable Linux distro installation USB drive, I use this command: sudo dd if=/Path/to/linux_distro.iso of=/dev/rdisk<disk number> bs=<number of bytes> When I look it up, I've seen variations of people choosing 4M, and I think 8M, 2M, and maybe even 1M. If I leave the operand... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quenz
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for an undetermined number of spaces

I would like to find an undetermined number of spaces and shorten them to one space. I am running Debian in mksh. Script running in #!/bin/sh. Sorry to not include all code. The program is too big and involves an online file... too much hassle to solve a simple issue. Ex., I start with... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
11 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)