Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Problem setting environment variables from script Post 302497894 by truecall on Friday 18th of February 2011 10:40:33 AM
Old 02-18-2011
Create a config file with the variables that you want to set.
The file will have variables like (this is just an example)
export TWO_TASK=GJEUGHD
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib
export ORACLE_BASE=/oracle
export ORA_DEFAULT=true

Then source it

source /opt/cdrapp/config/env.cfg

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting environment variables ???

Hello, I want to set some environment variables with this script: ip=$@ echo Remote Computer: $ip PERLDB_OPTS="CallKomodo=$ip:9000 RemotePort=$ip:9010 PrintRet=0" export PERLDB_OPTS PERL5LIB=/opt/komodo export PERL5LIB echo PERLDB_OPTS: $PERLDB_OPTS echo PERL5LIB: $PERL5LIB But it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gargamel
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up Environment Variables

Hi all, I am trying to set up some variables in a shell script. The variables contain values of various paths needed to run a java module. The problem is the variables dont seem to be setting at all. here is what i am trying to do : JAR_HOME=/home/was5/bdcms/scheduledjobs/lib export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpandey
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables in Makefile

I've seen a few other threads like this, but they either went unanswered or failed to answer my question. How do I set an environment variable in a Makefile? What I'm trying to do is use GNU make to automate an ant build. In order to run ant, I've got to first set a few environment... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bags
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Setting environment variables within cron jobs!!

Is it possible to use environment variables within cron jobs. I am using a cron job to run a c program at regular intervals. The C program uses a library and i have set the library path in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. But when i ran the job i got the error library not found!! Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atheek
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Setting Environment variables in TCSH

Hello All, I am writing a script to set some environment variables which are required for a particular application. I understand that the environment variables set by Shell script can, at the max, be valid for the session. They will have to be set again once the session is closed and re-opened.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kssandeep
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with setting up environment variables

hi all, I would appreciate if some one could explain me the difference between setting up the variables as shown below HOME=${HOME:-"/home/user1"} HOME=/home/user1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SSSB
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Environment Variables

#!/bin/bash if ; then ASS1_DATA_DIR=./ echo $ASS1_DATA_DIR export ASS1_DATA_DIR echo "data dir" fi if ; then ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR=./ export ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR fi I want to create a new environment variable ASS1_DATA_DIR and ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR in bash and set them to the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up environment variables

Hi all, This is my first post here. I need to set up a few environment variables with a shell script. Some are hard-coded, but some should come from other commands or as input from the user. How do I do that? For example, I need to export a variable as such: export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:8.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting environment variables with space

Hi, I'm having problems setting environment variable that has space value. Below is my shell script. export LINE=$@ TO=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $1}'` CC=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $2}'` BC=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $3}'` echo "TO=$TO" echo "CC=$CC" echo "BC=$BC" echo "1=$1" echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables from a file :

Hi, I have around 10 environment variables in my shell script. i want to set this all in a file and just call that file in my shell script. How can i do that ? Please help. TIA! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
6 Replies
EXPORT(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							 EXPORT(P)

NAME
export - set the export attribute for variables SYNOPSIS
export name[=word]... export -p DESCRIPTION
The shell shall give the export attribute to the variables corresponding to the specified names, which shall cause them to be in the envi- ronment of subsequently executed commands. If the name of a variable is followed by = word, then the value of that variable shall be set to word. The export special built-in shall support the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 12.2, Utility Syntax Guidelines. When -p is specified, export shall write to the standard output the names and values of all exported variables, in the following format: "export %s=%s ", <name>, <value> if name is set, and: "export %s ", <name> if name is unset. The shell shall format the output, including the proper use of quoting, so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell as commands that achieve the same exporting results, except: 1. Read-only variables with values cannot be reset. 2. Variables that were unset at the time they were output need not be reset to the unset state if a value is assigned to the variable between the time the state was saved and the time at which the saved output is reinput to the shell. When no arguments are given, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
See the DESCRIPTION. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
See the DESCRIPTION. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
Zero. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Export PWD and HOME variables: export PWD HOME Set and export the PATH variable: export PATH=/local/bin:$PATH Save and restore all exported variables: export -p > temp-fileunset a lot of variables... processing. temp-file RATIONALE
Some historical shells use the no-argument case as the functional equivalent of what is required here with -p. This feature was left unspecified because it is not historical practice in all shells, and some scripts may rely on the now-unspecified results on their imple- mentations. Attempts to specify the -p output as the default case were unsuccessful in achieving consensus. The -p option was added to allow portable access to the values that can be saved and then later restored using; for example, a dot script. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 EXPORT(P)