Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split using two delimiters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split using two delimiters Post 302497528 by mrwatkin on Thursday 17th of February 2011 12:52:21 PM
Old 02-17-2011
Split using two delimiters

I'm trying to do a split using two delimiters. The first delimiter is ": " (or we could call it :\s). The second is "\n".

How can or these delimiters so I can toss the values into an array without issue?

I tried @array = split /:\s|\n/, $myvar;

This doesn't seem to be working.

Any an all responses will be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Solaris

To extract everything between two delimiters

My input file looks like " @$SCRIPT/atp_asrmt_adj.sql $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1005w.pls $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1006w.pls start $SCRIPT/cim1020d.sql;^M spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql @$DATA/cim1021m.sql ! rm $DATA/cim1021m.sql spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dowsed4u8
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split, but ignoring extra delimiters

Hi all, I'm going bonkers trying to figure something out that is probably simple for most of you. I have a choice between getting therapy for this or coming here to ask for help. I chose the latter. :D What I'm trying to do is perform a split on a line but only one split. For example, let's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goober
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters in awk

Line from input file a : b : c " d " e " f : g : h " i " j " k " l output k b a Its taking 7th word when " is the delimiter, 2nd and 1st word when : is the delimiter and returning all in one line.... I am on solaris Thanks..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use two delimiters in awk

I have a file having lines like: 14: <a="b" val="c"/> 18: <a="x" val="d"/> 54: <a="b" val="c"/> 58: <a="x" val="e"/> I need to create a file with output: 14 d 54 e So basically, for every odd line I need 1st word if delimiter is ':' and for every even... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delimiters used in UNIX

Can you point me to information on the different delimited in UNIX like colon, spaces and tabs? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: momhef4
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting Delimiters

Hi Team, I am trying to get the data in below format Jan 01 | 19:00:32 | xyz | abc | sometext | string however I am not sure of the total number strings which can come in the record hence i cant use something like below as it can end $6 or it can go further cat file| awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters with awk?

I have a file which is separated by delimiter "|", but the prob is one of my column do contain delimiter as description so how can i differentiate it? PS : the delmiter does have backslash coming before it, if occurring in column Annual|Beleagured|Desc|Denver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split and Rename Split Files

Hello, I need to split a file by number of records and rename each split file with actual filename pre-pended with 3 digit split number. What I have tried is the below command with 2 digit numeric value split -l 3 -d abc.txt F (# Will Produce split Files as F00 F01 F02) How to produce... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
19 Replies
GETFIELDS(2)							System Calls Manual						      GETFIELDS(2)

NAME
getfields, getmfields, setfields, tokenize - break a string into fields SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int getfields(char *str, char **ptrs, int nptrs) int getmfields(char *str, char **ptrs, int nptrs) char* setfields(char *fielddelim) int tokenize(char *str, char **args, int max) DESCRIPTION
Getfields breaks the null-terminated string str into at most nptrs null-terminated fields and places pointers to the start of these fields in the array ptrs. It returns the number of fields and terminates the list of pointers with a zero pointer. It overwrites some of the bytes in str. If there are nptr or more fields, the list will not end with zero and the last `field' will extend to the end of the input string and may contain delimiters. A field is defined as a maximal sequence of characters not in a set of field delimiters. Adjacent fields are separated by exactly one delimiter. No field follows a delimiter at the end of string. Thus a string of just two delimiter characters contains two empty fields, and a nonempty string with no delimiters contains one field. Getmfields is the same as getfields except that fields are separated by maximal strings of field delimiters rather than just one. Setfields makes the field delimiters (space and tab by default) be the characters of the string fielddelim and returns a pointer to a string of the previous delimiters. Tokenize breaks null-terminated string str into tokens by replacing every blank or newline with a null byte. Pointers to successive non- empty tokens are placed in args. Processing stops after max tokens are processed. Tokenize returns the number of tokens processed. Tok- enize does not terminate args with a null pointer. Alef Of these routines, only tokenize is in Alef. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/port/getfields.c /sys/src/libc/port/tokenize.c SEE ALSO
strtok in strcat(2) GETFIELDS(2)