Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: getopts in a subshell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getopts in a subshell Post 302497253 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 04:49:23 PM
Old 02-16-2011
This is working as expected for me:
Code:
$ echo $KSH_VERSION
Version JM 93t+ 2010-03-05
$ ./little_program 
known
known
known

Also works OK with
  • ksh version M-11/16/88,
  • pdksh version 5.2.14 99/07/13.2
  • bash 4.1.9(3)-release, 3.2.51(24)-release and 3.2.16(1)-release

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 02-16-2011 at 07:41 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subshell Question

The profile of the user is empty. Then before I run the script I want I run a parameter file that populates the variables for oracle. ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_SID PATH etc ... But it seems that these variables are not making it to the shell I am in because when I do an echo on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing of a varibale to subshell

Hi All, I need some info. Could you please tell me how to use the variable of a parent shell in the subshell. Also can we modify the variable in the subshell ? If yes, will the modified variable visible in the parent shell I am using two prg. a.sh #!/usr/bin/ksh temp_var="abhishek"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhishekG
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to the subshell

I have a shell script which is invoked by passing an argument. The outer shell script calls another subshell and I want the argument passed down to flow down to the subshell. E.g Invoking a shell ======>> abc_refresh.ksh NM Below is the content of abc_refresh.ksh Value1=$1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mihirjani
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a subshell

I am calling a script from with another script and reading its output one line at a time (using <childscript> | while read line) in the parent script. If the output exceeds a predefined number of lines I want to kill the child shell from within the parent shell. I decided to print the process ID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop subshell problem

Hi, I have the below script while true; do read -p "Please enter schema password: " -s -e pswd1 echo read -p "Please retype schema password: " -s -e pswd2 echo && { echo -e "password mismatch.\n"; continue; } validateOraclePassword $pswd1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basename in subshell

Hi All, I would like to improve my bash scripting skill and found a problem which I do not understand. Task is to search and print files in directory (and subdirecories) which contains its own name. Files can have spaces in name. This one works fine for files in main directory, but not for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_item
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts in the subshell of ksh

Hi, the getopts doesnt seem to be working in the subshell of the ksh. when I echo $@ and $* from the subshell it shows nothing. even when I am capturing the parameters from the outer shell and passing while invoking the file then I am still not getting it properly. the below code is in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a command in subshell

Hi All, I am trying to create a shell script which runs on my linux machine. The requirement is so that, ade createview xyz -> this steps creates a view ade useview xyz -> we are entering inside the view ade begintrans -> begin a transaction My script has following code : lets say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dish
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How will these subshell commands behave?

Hello, I am firing off some scripts from a main script, cd B/ ./EV_B_m0-m200_hex1.sh & ./EV_B_m0-m200_hex2.sh & wait ...more It would be useful to put a bit of time between the two to clean up the output to the terminal. I think this would work, cd B/ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help sending mail through subshell

Hey I have a shell script that is like this: ( echo "hi!" ##DO SOMETHING )&( sleep 5 ##EMAIL RECIPIENTS VARs ERECIPIENT3="email.com" echo "Connection on status: is Down"|mail -s "Subject:" ${ERECIPIENT3} kill -- -$$ ) This isn't working anyone know why? mail won't go out from... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
12 Replies
shell_builtins(1)                                                                                                                shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)