Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting certain new lines from a file with shell Post 302497170 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 01:46:36 PM
Old 02-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by machalita
Thanks!!! im trying to save it to a new file

Code:

nawk '/^>/{printf("%c%s\n",(FNR==1)?"":"\n",$0);next}{printf $0}END{print}' myFile >> newfile

But i cant get it recognized as a text file, am i doing something wrong? thanks!
Hmmm... I'm having hard time understanding what's wrong - the above looks fine.
What error/warning messages are you seeing?
Anything in the 'newfile'?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last 2 lines from the file.

Hi I have a file & always I need to remove or delete last 2 lines from that file. So in a file if I have 10 lines then it should return me first 8 lines. Can someone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting lines from a file

How I can delete 100 lines anywhere in a file without opening a file and without renaming the file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nirgude07
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting the lines at the end of the file.

I have a text file with two coulmn first column is just used in to show the line number, these line number are not there in the real file. I want to delete the line 16(in this file) here, even tough there is no data inside it . this empty line is causing me a problem by throwing me garbage... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell deleting specific lines

Hi, I'am working under unix solaris I have a text file with set of lines, each set of lines (BLOCK) have three fixed lines : Between SECND line and THEND we have N lines, N differ from a block to another sample : i have to make a script wich delete each 3 fixed lines if N=0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salbanito
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific lines in a file

Hello, I have a file like this one: 03-07-2011 sunz02 message1 03-07-2011 sunz02 message2 03-07-2011 sunz02 message3 01-07-2011 sunz02 message1 01-07-2011 sunz02 message2 01-07-2011 sunz02 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asanchez
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting specific lines in a file

Hello, I have a file like: 26-07-2011 sunz02 message1 26-07-2011 sunz02 message2 26-07-2011 sunz02 message3 15-07-2011 sunz02 message1 15-07-2011 sunz02 message2 15-07-2011 sunz02 message3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting few lines from a file dynamically

here is the part of the code var1="replicate-ignore-db" var2="replicate-same-server-id" var3="skip-slave-start" var4="report-host" var5="master-host" var6="master-user" var7="master-password" var8="master-port" #code below deleted paramters as above if exists in my.cnf for i in 1 2 3 4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies
CP(1)							      General Commands Manual							     CP(1)

NAME
cp, cpdir - file copy SYNOPSIS
cp [-pifsmrRvx] file1 file2 cp [-pifsrRvx] file ... directory cpdir [-ifvx] file1 file2 OPTIONS
-p Preserve full mode, uid, gid and times -i Ask before removing existing file -f Forced remove existing file -s Make similar, copy some attributes -m Merge trees, disable the into-a-directory trick -r Copy directory trees with link structure, etc. intact -R Copy directory trees and treat special files as ordinary -v Display what cp is doing -x Do not cross device boundaries EXAMPLES
cp oldfile newfile # Copy oldfile to newfile cp -R dir1 dir2 # Copy a directory tree DESCRIPTION
Cp copies one file to another, or copies one or more files to a directory. Special files are normally opened and read, unless -r is used. -r also copies the link structure, something -R doesn't care about. The -s option differs from -p that it only copies the times if the target file already exists. A normal copy only copies the mode of the file, with the file creation mask applied. Set-uid bits are cleared if the owner cannot be set. (The -s flag does not patronize you by clearing bits. Alas -s and -r are nonstandard.) Cpdir is a convenient synonym for cp -psmr to make a precise copy of a directory tree. SEE ALSO
cat(1), mkdir(1), rmdir(1), ln(1), rm(1). CP(1)