Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory got deleted
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Directory got deleted Post 302497067 by unknown7 on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 09:04:25 AM
Old 02-16-2011
come on... why you write such things?

just searched with google and directly found a lot of information about this topic.
Unfortunately it's not allowed for me to post URLs (below 5 posts) - but i assume you know how to use google. (if not - search words for me were "unix get deleted file" - i took 3rd from top)

There is for example Midnight Commander mentioned.
It's GNU (free) software, which runs on UNIX OS.
Quote:
Midnight Commander can be obtained at ibiblio.org/mc/
so it's possible to get deleted files back by knownleadge of last date used/created...
It's just not that easy as it is with windows OS.

---------- Post updated at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:57 PM ----------

if you still need to get it back and it's important you may look for GNU free licensed program:
"midnightcommander"

can sometimes undelete files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted /etc/passwd

Hi all, While playing with my LINUX machine i accidently deleted a file name called /etc/passwd . Even though the system is booted am unable to get the login prompt. Is there any remedy for this problem.:( (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Deleted Lost+Found directory

If you delete your lost & found directory, how do you get it back, just do a mkdir? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

files of size 0 need to be deleted inside a directory

Hiiii, I have written a script which takes backup of some log files. let say the backuplocation is --- /abc/backuplocation -rw-r--r-- 1 webmut2 spgroup 0 Jan 27 02:41 ansrpt23994.log -rw-r--r-- 1 webmut2 spgroup 0 Jan 27 02:41 ansrpt3601.log -rw-r--r-- 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know who has deleted the file.

Hi, We have a file which needs supper user previleges to delete. There are 10 users having super user preveleges. Some times back that file got deleted. How to know who has deleted that file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Directory should not be deleted, But the contents can be

Hi Guys, I have an user's home directory set to /home/A And A contains the following directories B & C Is there some way in solaris by which i can prevent the directories B and C from getting deleted by the user but the contents of the directories B & C can be deleted ? Also i have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localhost
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleted /usr

I accidentally deleted the usr on/. How can I start the server again? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deleted all files - rm *

Hi All, I am using Fedora Core and Windows Xp. I deleted all the files from root directory. When i am trying to restart the computer it showing some grub > prompt. What i will do ? I have lots of data in XP OS. Please help me i used # rm * (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last column is getting deleted

Hi, I am having a problem in the below code:-. $ cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played,0,5,12367,NULL,NULL,98,67,Reason is not sufficient baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played,0,4,76893,NULL,RAW,54,78,Reason is not sufficient baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played,9,2,1,6,NULL,6789,123,Reason... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recovering a deleted directory

I accidentally deleted a very important directory today with this rm -r. What would be the recommended way to recover my directory? After a lot of googleing I have seen these choices. Could I get some recommendations please? Testdisk Photorec- Doesn't recover file name like I would like. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Directory cannot be deleted!!!

Friends, I have accidently, as root, created a directory gabsf under /home. Now I cannot delete this thing, I have tried rm and rmdir, as well as explicit path name, but it is really undeleteable. Here is what ls -l says. # ls -l /home total 6 drwxr-xr-x 2 dawood dawood 2 Sep 5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
3 Replies
rpload(1)						      General Commands Manual							 rpload(1)

NAME
rpload - pine remote data utility SYNTAX
rpload [ -f ] [ -s trimSize ] -t Type -l Local_file -r Remote_folder DESCRIPTION
Rpload may be used to convert local Pine configuration files or address books into remote configurations or address books. It is intended to be used by system administrators. Regular users should normally use the facilities provided within Pine. Local_file will usually be a user's pine configuration file, and Remote_folder is the IMAP folder which will be used (with the help of Pine's -p, -P, and -x commands or PINECONF, PINERC, and PINERCEX environment variables) as the user's remote configuration folder. A copy of Local_file will be placed in the folder with the correct header lines to satisfy Pine. -f Force the load even if the remote folder is in the wrong format. This will delete the contents of the folder so use it carefully. -s trimSize If the number of messages in the remote folder is more than one plus trimsize (one is for the header message), then messages 2, 3, and so on will be deleted until there are only one plus trimsize messages left. If this option is not set no trimming will be done. -t Type The possible Types are pinerc, abook, and sig. (Sig is mostly obsolete. Literal signatures contained within the remote pinerc should be used instead.) -l Local_file The file on this system that is to be copied. -r Remote_folder A remote folder name to be copied to. See the Pine documentation for the syntax of a remote folder name. One example is {my.imap.server}remote_pinerc. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is zero if all goes well, -1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
Rpdump(1). Copyright 1989-2001 by the University of Washington. Pine and Pico are trademarks of the University of Washington. $Date: 2001/10/01 19:24:03 $ rpload(1)