Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cacti + MRTG + Nagios
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Cacti + MRTG + Nagios Post 302496941 by cjcox on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 07:51:36 PM
Old 02-15-2011
hmmm... I don't see why Nagios can't do it.... again, our preference for Cacti has to do with they way it works and handles its interface and the maturity of the community it has.

Real time reporting usually means you're looking for something with a heavy handed poller.... which is NOT recommended. You can get very good "real time" information from controlled interval polling and that's what most these kinds of tools do.

The basically generate interval plots... not "live" data per se.

Since computer people like car analogies.... consider "miles per gallon" for a car. If I want instantaneous real time data for that... how is it possible? Well.. we could measure now and a microsecond from now... but with a small window, one sampling might show 400 mpg and the next sample might show me 1 mpg. The tools that use rrd-tool (and rrd-tool itself), understand the difficulties with such data which is why they work the way they do.

In other words it's not the right tool if you're looking for what is happening THAT VERY INSTANT.... IMHO of course.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

MRTG in Unix Systems

Hi, I need help to discovery the correct MIB to monitoring CPU, Memory and Hard Disc in Unix. I get any MIB in the internet, but donīt work. Anybody help-me? Thanks. Marcio Dunder Perin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunder
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

MRTG vs Nagios

hye all.. I like to know if anyone here can justify and make wise recommendation to me, whether to choose MRTG or NAGIOS as network Monitoring Performance. If can, is there any website that provide comparison for both of them? Ur help are highly appreciated.. Regards, ~unknown (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unknown2205
1 Replies

3. Linux

MRTG Problem

Dear All I have an E1 link (2Mbps) for the internet usage in my office. I have configured MRTG on Linux Proxy Machine and Router's serial interface. The problem that i have is some times in MRTG web page Bits per second increase up to 2.4 M or 4.8 M but it should not go over 2048 Kbps. How can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfer24
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mrtg help...

Hello All, Can anyone tell me that how to make MRTG graph by picking values through a simple file. If you have such script of MRTG then please tell me the details. Actually my scenarios is that i want to make a Graph through a simple file in which values randomly changes. I hop you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakhan
1 Replies

5. AIX

Want to use MRTG to Monitor AIX 6.1

hi, I used to use MRTG monitor Redhat, CentOS. But, i found that. I can't snmpwalk to my AIX 6.1 I want to know, how can I snmpwalk my AIX 6.1's CPU usage, Memory usage, New TCP connection, EST. TCP connection and the Harddisk Size....etc. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virusxx
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Help me on MRTG

I have installed MRTG on my Linux 5.5 system. then i started copying data from the machine when MRTG is installed to another machine. I could see some changes in graphs. But can't understand what does that mean? Moreover how to see load on the system where MRTG is installed by copying files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Why do we use RRDtool in MRTG?

Hi Guys, Why do we use RRDtool in MRTG? I have implemented MRTG for some routers, I have read some notes about RRDTOOL also but don't know what is use of these tool. Any one one please explain me the use of RRDTOOL in their own words? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios check dependent on second nagios server

We have a dual Nagios server setup. One is setup for internal server monitoring on our LAN, while the second Nagios server is hosted externally and is used for external checks only such as URL and ping checks form the WAN side. I was wondering if there is any way to setup cross dependencies... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugenes18t
1 Replies
RRDLUA(1)							      rrdtool								 RRDLUA(1)

NAME
RRDLua - Lua binding for RRDTool SYNOPSIS
require 'rrd' rrd.create(...) rrd.dump(...) rrd.fetch(...) rrd.first(...) rrd.graph(...) rrd.graphv(...) rrd.info(...) rrd.last(...) rrd.resize(...) rrd.restore(...) rrd.tune(...) rrd.update(...) rrd.updatev(...) DESCRIPTION
Calling Sequence This module accesses RRDtool functionality directly from within Lua. The arguments to the functions listed in the SYNOPSIS are explained in the regular RRDtool documentation. The command-line call rrdtool update mydemo.rrd --template in:out N:12:13 gets turned into rrd.update ("mydemo.rrd", "--template", "in:out", "N:12:13") Note that --template=in:out is also valid. Using with Lua 5.1 Start your programs with: --------------------------------------------------------------- package.cpath = '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.3.2/lib/lua/5.1/?.so;' .. package.cpath require 'rrd' --------------------------------------------------------------- OBS: If you configured with --enable-lua-site-install, you don't need to set package.cpath like above. Using with Lua 5.0 The Lua binding for RRDtool needs the Lua module compat-5.1 to work with Lua 5.0. Some Linux distros, like Ubuntu gutsy and hardy, have it already integrated in Lua 5.0 -dev packages, so you just have to require it: require 'compat-5.1' For other platforms, the compat-5.1 module that comes with this binding will be installed for you in the same dir where RRDtool was installed, under the subdir .../lib/lua/5.0. In this case, you must tell your Lua programs where to find it by changing the Lua var LUA_PATH: -- compat-5.1.lua is only necessary for Lua 5.0 ---------------- -- try only compat-5.1 installed with RRDtool package local original_LUA_PATH = LUA_PATH LUA_PATH = '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.3.2/lib/lua/5.0/?.lua' require 'compat-5.1' LUA_PATH = original_LUA_PATH original_LUA_PATH = nil --- end of code to require compat-5.1 --------------------------- Now we can require the rrd module in the same way we did for 5.1 above: --------------------------------------------------------------- package.cpath = '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.3.2/lib/lua/5.0/?.so;' .. package.cpath require 'rrd' --------------------------------------------------------------- Error Handling The Lua RRDTool module functions will abort your program with a stack traceback when they can not make sense out of the arguments you fed them. However, you can capture and handle the errors yourself, instead of just letting the program abort, by calling the module functions through Lua protected calls - 'pcall' or 'xpcall'. Ex: program t.lua --- compat-5.1.lua is only necessary for Lua 5.0 ---------------- -- uncomment below if your distro has not compat-5.1 -- original_LUA_PATH = LUA_PATH -- try only compat-5.1.lua installed with RRDtool package -- LUA_PATH = '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.3.2/lib/lua/5.0/?.lua' -- here we use a protected call to require compat-5.1 local r = pcall(require, 'compat-5.1') if not r then print('** could not load compat-5.1.lua') os.exit(1) end -- uncomment below if your distro has not compat-5.1 -- LUA_PATH = original_LUA_PATH -- original_LUA_PATH = nil --- end of code to require compat-5.1 --------------------------- -- If the Lua RRDTool module was installed together with RRDTool, -- in /usr/local/rrdtool-1.3.2/lib/lua/5.0, package.cpath must be -- set accordingly so that 'require' can find the module: package.cpath = '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.3.2/lib/lua/5.0/?.so;' .. package.cpath local rrd = require 'rrd' rrd.update ("mydemo.rrd","N:12:13") If we execute the program above we'll get: $ lua t.lua lua: t.lua:27: opening 'mydemo.rrd': No such file or directory stack traceback: [C]: in function `update' t.lua:27: in main chunk [C]: ? Return Values The functions rrd.first, rrd.last, rrd.graph, rrd.info and rrd.fetch return their findings. rrd.first returns a single INTEGER representing the timestamp of the first data sample in an RRA within an RRD file. Example returning the first timestamp of the third RRA (index 2): local firstdate = rrd.first('example.rrd', '--rraindex', 2) rrd.last returns a single INTEGER representing the last update time. local lastupdate = rrd.last('example.rrd') rrd.graph returns the x-size and y-size of the created image and a table with the results of the PRINT arguments. local xsize, ysize, averages = rrd.graph ... print(string.format("Image size: %dx%d", xsize, ysize) print("Averages: ", table.concat(averages, ', ')) rrd.info returns a table where the keys and the values represent property names and property values of the RRD. local info = rrd.info("test.rrd") for key, value in pairs(info) do print(key, ' = ', value) end rrd.graphv takes the same parameters as rrd.graph but it returns a table only. The table returned contains meta information about the graph, like its size as well as the position of the graph area on the image. When called with and empty filename, the contents of the graph will be returned in the table as well (key 'image'). rrd.updatev also returns a table. The keys of the table are strings formed by the concatenation of timestamp, RRA index and data source name for each consolidated data point (CDP) written to disk as a result of the current update call. The key values are CDP values. rrd.fetch is the most complex of the pack regarding return values. It returns 5 values: the initial timestamp, the step, two parallel arrays containing the data source names and their data points respectively, and the final timestamp. --require compat-5.1 if necessary package.cpath = '/usr/local/rrdtool-1.3.2/lib/lua/5.0/?.so;' .. package.cpath local rrd = require "rrd" local first, last = rrd.first("test.rrd"), rrd.last("test.rrd") local start, step, names, data = rrd.fetch("test.rrd", "--start", first, "--end", last, "AVERAGE") io.write(string.format("Start: %s (%d) ", os.date("%c", start),start)) io.write("Step size: ", step, " seconds ") io.write("DS names: ", table.concat(names, ', '), " ") io.write("Data points: ", #data[1], " ") io.write("Data: ") for i,dp in ipairs(data) do io.write(os.date("%t", start), " (", start, "): ") start = start + step for j,v in ipairs(dp) do io.write(v, " ") end io.write(" ") end AUTHOR
Fidelis Assis <fidelis@pobox.com> 1.4.8 2013-05-23 RRDLUA(1)