Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat process fails if setuid bit is set Post 302496731 by ahamed101 on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 05:29:10 AM
Old 02-15-2011
Thank you for all the response. The issue was the env variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Quoting from internet

For security reasons, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored at runtime for executables that have their setuid or setgid bit set. This severely limits the usefulness of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

The exit error code which I was getting : 127 unable to open shared object. When I did an strace I could see that, it was searching for the depedendent libraries on /usr/lib and not the ones present in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. So for testing I created a link from the actual library path to /usr/lib and it worked. Smilie

regards,
Ahamed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setuid sticky bit

I have a binary. It is having the following permissions rws rws rwx mqm:mqm runmqtrm The same program on another machine is rws rws rwx root: mqm runmqtrm This program is a setuid program. This is what my understanding is. Whatever user the program is started under, it will finally be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bandaru
0 Replies

2. Programming

setuid bit on user + dynamically linked libraries

hi all, i have a critical and specific problem with respect to set uid bit on user and the dll's for a binary, (under the userid A) it needs libraries from /usr/lib and informix libraries from $INFORMIXDIR/lib/esql but this binary should be kicked off from id B, hence s-bit on user is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

setuid bit - error

hi i have written small script which will login 2 two different users with su but if we run from normal user it prompts for password so i chnaged the owner of script to root and added setuid bit with chmod u+s <script_name> but when i run the script i get following message Warning:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can we set the Sticky bit in the umask itself

How can we set the Sticky bit in the umask itself. Please help me :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: geniman2004
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setuid & sticky bit

Can anyone explain me difference between setuid and sticky bit? and also between setuid and chown? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
3 Replies

6. Linux

Please explain setuid bit clearly!

Dear all, I am newbie with linux, i dont understand any code. I have googled a long time. Please help me explain about setuid bit on linux (Centos 6) Here: 1/ I chmod u+s for /sbin/iptables but normal user still cannot perform command (ex: /sbin/iptables -L) 2/Someone says : setuid only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
6 Replies

7. Programming

c program to set the m-bit to n-bit

I have a 32bit number and without using for loop,I want to set mbit to n bit. Say m bit may be 2nd or 5th or 9th or 10th.n bit may be 22nd or 27or 11th bit. I assume m<n. Please help me.Thanks acdc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acdc
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setuid not working in Linux as script fails to write to file.

Hi, I have the following 3 test files to test setuid bit which if it works I would like to implement in our application. However setuid doesnot seem to be having any impact on my test below.Following are the 3 files of interest in /tmp/ folder. $ ls -ltr *env* -rw------- 1 g332008 users 6... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
23 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What keeps me from abusing setuid(0) and programs with setuid bit set?

Just learning about the privilege escalation method provided by setuid. Correct me if I am wrong but what it does is change the uid of the current process to whatever uid I set. Right ? So what stops me from writing my own C program and calling setuid(0) within it and gaining root privileges ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Java 32 bit installation fails on an AIX platform

Hello. It is my first to deal with Java installation on an AIX platform. I am now trying to install Java 32bit using installp command. However, it throws back the message that the installation media cannot be found. I need to install Java 32bit to proceed with an installation of Oracle JD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EJ2019
0 Replies
issetugid(2)							   System Calls 						      issetugid(2)

NAME
issetugid - determine if current executable is running setuid or setgid SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int issetugid(void); DESCRIPTION
The issetugid() function enables library functions (in libtermlib, libc, or other libraries) to guarantee safe behavior when used in setuid or setgid programs or programs that run with more privileges after a succesful exec(2). Some library functions might be passed insufficient information and not know whether the current program was started setuid or setgid because a higher level calling code might have made changes to the uid, euid, gid, or egid. These low-level library functions are therefore unable to determine if they are being run with ele- vated or normal privileges. The issetugid() function should be used to determine if a path name returned from a getenv(3C) call can be used safely to open the speci- fied file. It is often not safe to open such a file because the status of the effective uid is not known. The result of a call to issetugid() is unaffected by calls to setuid(), setgid(), or other such calls. In case of a call to fork(2), the child process inherits the same status. The status of issetugid() is affected only by execve() (see exec(2)). If a child process executes a new executable file, a new issetugid() status will be based on the existing process's uid, euid, gid, and egid permissions and on the modes of the executable file. If the new executable file modes are setuid or setgid, or if the existing process is executing the new image with uid != euid or gid != egid, or if the permitted set before the call to the exec function is not a superset of the inheritable set at that time, issetugid() returns 1 in the new process. RETURN VALUES
The issetugid() function returns 1 if the process was made setuid or setgid as the result of the last or a previous call to execve(). Oth- erwise it returns 0. ERRORS
The issetugid() function is always successful. No return value is reserved to indicate an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), fork(2), setuid(2), getenv(3C), attributes(5), privileges(5) SunOS 5.11 19 Feb 2003 issetugid(2)