Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compare files in a directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare files in a directory Post 302496642 by nmattam on Monday 14th of February 2011 07:28:53 PM
Old 02-14-2011
Compare files in a directory

Thanks for help rdcwayx. I find this when executing the command.

Code:
diff: file: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_employee_views.2011_week14: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_employee_views.2011_week13: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_employee_views.2011_week12: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_employee_views.2011_week11: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_employee_views.2011_week10: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week09: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week08: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week07: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week06: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week05: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week04: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week03: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week02: No such file or directory
diff: avail_logs1/departed_week01: No such file or directory

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 02-15-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory compare script

Hello, I am looking for a script, or pointer to an approach to creating a script, that will compare two versions of a codebase and output a third directory structure containing only the files that differ between the two. I use diff quite often, but it will only create patch files (AFAIK). Does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwilliams108
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare all files in a directory to a threshold value

Hi guys, I have the following, and would like to enhance it be be able to run it in the hard coded directory and compare each file in the directory with the expectedSizeHow would I go about doing this? Thanks, Bloke #!/bin/sh ] || { echo "Usage: watchSizes 400"; exit 0 ; } #Hammer: How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bloke
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require compare command to compare 4 files

I have four files, I need to compare these files together. As such i know "sdiff and comm" commands but these commands compare 2 files together. If I use sdiff command then i have to compare each file with other which will increase the codes. Please suggest if you know some commands whcih can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse files in directory and compare with another file

I have two files File 1 in reading directory is of following format Read 1 A T Read 3 T C Read 5 G T Read 7 A G Read 10 A G Read 12 C G File 2 in directory contains Read 5 A G Read 6 T C Read 7 G A Read 8 G A Read 20 A T File2 contains (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: empyrean
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl Compare zone files in directory with what is listed in named.conf

I would really appreciate any assistance that I can get here. I am fairly new to perl. I am trying to rewrite my shell scripts to perl. Currently I have a shell script (using sed, awk, grep, etc) that gets a list of all of the zone files in a directory and then looks in named.conf for what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Only "File Names" in 2 Files with file lists having different directory structure

I have a tar arcive arch_all.tar.gz and 4 batched tar archive . These batches are supposed to have all the files form arch1.all.tar.gz arch1_batch1.tar.gz arch1_batch2.tar.gz arch1_batch3.tar.gz arch1_batch4.tar.gz my issue is that the directory structure in "arch_all.tar.gz" is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
GENDIFF(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)