Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace specific contents in a file? Post 302496621 by joeyg on Monday 14th of February 2011 03:55:49 PM
Old 02-14-2011
Sounds like something sed could do.
Please show sample input file, and your desired outcome.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace contents of a file

Hi, I want to replace the contents of a file.I tried using : sed 's/01514581/01514582/' $p where 01514581 is the original value 01514582 is the replaced value $p is the file name (captured in a variable).. The output does not recognise $p If you give : sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiroh_1982
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace partial contents of file with contents read from other file

Hi, I am facing issue while reading data from a file in UNIX. my requirement is to compare two files and for the text pattern matching in the 1st file, replace the contents in second file by the contents of first file from start to the end and write the contents to thrid file. i am able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeki
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace specific positions on line with file contents

Hi, I am trying to use an awk command to replace specific character positions on a line beginning with 80 with contents of another file. The line beginning with 80 in file1 is as follows: I want to replace the 000000000178800 (positions 34 - 49) on this file with the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nwalsh88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace file contents from another

Hi Friends, I have a file1 with 5 columns a b c d e f g h i j I have file2 with 3 columns 1 2 3 4 5 6 I want to replace 3rd 4th and 5th columns in file1 with file2 contents, so the output would be a b 1 2 3 f g 4 5 6 Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Contents from One file into another

Hi Friends, I have two input files cat input1 chr1 100 200 chr1 200 300 chr2 300 400 cat input2 chr1 hello monday 10 20 . - . sometext chr1 hello monday 20 30 . - . sometext chr2 hello monday 30 40 . - . sometext Now, I want to replace $1, $4 and $5 of input2 with $1, $2 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How To Replace Contents in a File?

How can i replace the contents in a particular line of a file. <FOLDERMAP SOURCEFOLDERNAME="FFCB-2012" SOURCEREPOSITORYNAME="Repo_DEV" TARGETFOLDERNAME="TEST" TARGETREPOSITORYNAME="Dev_Repo"/> For Example I want to replace the SOURCEREPOSITORYNAME="Repo_DEV" to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace contents of a file

Hello, I need help to replace a value by a new one. I've got a script, that will get directory size in ko, then write the size value return in a log file : The patch is given in crontab, and use with $1 in the script. I am looking for help to replace, after: the old value without to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to place specific contents filename within text file

I am trying to use awk to place the contens of a filename in $1 and $2 followed by the data in the text file. Basically, put the filename within the text file. There are over 1000 files in the directory and as of now each file is saved with a unique name but it is not within the file. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)